Director of Strategic Development- Surface Warfare ProgramsDate posted 01/18/2019
Job ID#: 22144BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Director of Strategic Development- Surface Warfare Programs
Job Category: Business Development, Program/Project Management, Strategic Development
State: District of Columbia
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Director of Strategic Development - Surface Warfare Programs to work in our Washington, DC office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for supporting strategic development initiatives for domestic and international defense programs, overseeing all phases of business development activities to ensure business and financial objectives are attained for domestic/foreign defense procurement and research and development opportunities.
- Direct the development of new strategic business opportunities and expansion of existing business opportunities. Consult with GA EMS Senior Management in pursuing business partnerships, and alliances that enhance the capabilities of the organization.
- Lead the assessment of potential business opportunities through activities such as market and economic analysis, monitoring competitive activity and identifying customer needs.
- Provide guidance in the preparation of proposals, business plans, proposal work statements and specifications, operating budgets and financial terms/conditions of contract(s).
- Lead activities to identify markets, licensing opportunities, and determine the feasibility of product development for current and future defense opportunities.
- Position is based out of the GA & affiliates Washington DC office. However, significant travel will be required, to include international travel as needed and regular travel to the EMS San Diego office to maintain an active engagement with headquarters.
- Act as the primary contact for high level business development activities. Lead progress review sessions to discuss cost, schedule, and technical performance and to disseminate information on a continuous basis to all pertinent parties concerning the fulfillment of project goals and objectives.
- Manages the planning, selection, retention, and development of personnel to ensure the availability of the required management, professional, and technical talent.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a Bachelors or Masters in business administration or a related field and thirteen or more years of progressively complex experience in business development with at least seven years managing business development activities. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Engineering or technical background is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of U.S. Navy Surface Warfare community and experience working with Office of Naval Research (ONR).
- Must have experience leading cross-functional teams of individuals involved in the capture of new business for current and future opportunities, managing marketing budget and establishing and maintaining relationships with government personnel.
- Experience with power and energy systems for shipboard applications.
- Understanding and experience with surface Navy weapon systems to include naval guns, high energy lasers, rail gun, fire control systems and hyper velocity projectiles.
- Must demonstrate a detailed and extensive expertise and application of business development principles and concepts, and practice as well as comprehensive project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must possess experience interfacing and managing projects with major Service, DOD, and National Labs.
- Prior experience with Maritime and/or Naval Power Systems is preferred.
- Must possess the ability to resolve unusually complex problems; serve as spokesperson on projects; and be an expert in one or more areas of business development.
- Strong communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other departments, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
- Must have an active DoD Secret Security Clearance.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
Travel Percentage Required : 25% - 50%
Clearance Required? Yes
Clearance Level Secret