MachinistDate posted 03/07/2019
Job ID#: 22945BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Machinist
Job Category: Manufacturing
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hourly
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide
We have an exciting opportunity for a Machinist to join our Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) Group located in Tupelo, MS. Under limited supervision, this position is responsible for performing complex functions related to machine tools. A Machinist plans, lays out work, sets up and operates all types of lathes, mills or grinders to machine or grind developmental, production or maintenance parts to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs complex functions related to CNC machine set-up and operation.
- Operates and performs machine set up of highly technical, and sometimes large CNC machines.
- Set up and operate various CNC machines to include:
- Horizontal Boring Mills up to 393” travel
- Lathe with 78” swing
- VTL with 118” chuck
- Hass Vertical Mill
- 3-axis lathe
- 4-axis lathe
- Horizontal Mill (Okuma or Makino)
- Electrical Discharge Machine (EDM)
- 5-axis Mill (Haas/Mori)
- Follows work instructions and set up sheets to select cutting tools to be used, method of holding work piece, and machine speeds and feeds.
- Sets tools with touch-off probe, pre setter or manually.
- Determines cutting tools to be used, method of holding and machine speeds and feeds on less complex parts.
- Sets tools with touch-off probe using electrical measurement system.
- Reviews engineering drawings from sketches, graphic illustrations or verbal/written correspondence to plan the fabrication sequence to fabricate parts to specifications in a timely manner.
- Prepares the fabrication and metrology of components to specifications in a timely manner in a fast paced, schedule driven program
- Operates metrology equipment and record and document metrology information.
- Documents and certifies work flow and measurements of assigned parts according to standard.
- Maintains the flow of work within the unit using independent judgment in solving non-routine problems and recommending solutions.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires an associate's degree, technical/trade school training or equivalent and seven or more years related experience. Additional experience may be substituted for formal education.
- US citizenship is required.
- Must be customer focused and possess the ability to perform non-routine complex set-up and fabrication of CNC Machines and machined parts with little direction.
- Experience with 4-axis machine set up and operation is required.
- Experience with 5-axis bridge mill with 12 meter bed is preferred.
- Experience with Haas, Okuma, Mori, Makino, and Mazak machines is preferred.
- Experience with electric discharge machine (EDM) is preferred.
- Must be able to use indicators and edge-finders.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, sketches, verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) is required.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Experience using G and M codes required.
- Must be able to understand CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine) reports.
- Experience with DoD measurement and tolerance standards is highly preferred.
- Must possess experience documenting and certifying work flow and measurements of assigned parts according to standard.
- Strong interpersonal skills and written communication skills to interface with employees, management, and external customers.
- The ability to work both independently and in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? No