CNC ProgrammerDate posted 10/27/2015
Job ID#: 6889BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: CNC Programmer
Job Category: Manufacturing
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) is a supplier of advanced electromagnetic systems, related power equipment and other high technology products for a variety of government and commercial applications. These include products such as the design and fabrication of linear motors, superconducting and conventional rotating motors, power inverters, high-energy capacitors, radiation monitoring systems, high-voltage direct current power distribution systems, and numerous other products.
We have an exciting opportunity for a CNC Programmer to join our Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) Group located in Tupelo, MS. With limited direction, this position exercises considerable latitude in the development and writing of programs for computer numerically controlled (CNC) machines using engineering specifications and drawings. This position analyzes engineering drawings to define configuration of parts and determine the type and sequence of machine operations. Independently determines proper cutter selections for each part, taking into consideration such factors as speeds, types of cutters, feeds, and control system limitations. Develops solutions to a wide range of complex technical problems to ensure organizational objectives and deadlines are met. Functions in a leadership role providing direction and/or training to professional or technical staff and participates in the selection and development of department staff. Interacts with all levels of employees and analyzes vendor products. As we move our machining capabilities to the next level, this role will play an integral part in helping us achieve this effort.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads programs for machining parts, tools, or sheet metal on computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools.
- Determines program routines for the most efficient computer calculation of dimensional and machining requirements for each part.
- Tests and modifies existing parts programs for engineering changes or program improvements. Makes recommendations to ensure capabilities for future requirements.
- Develops and monitors department documentation, including operational instructions and/or standard procedures.
- Represents the organization as a primary contact to outside vendors and customers.
- Stays current on new/improved machining methods, CNC program enhancements and state of the art tools.
- Provides leadership in programming, job set-up, training, and new product integration of subordinates.
- Functions in an advisory or leadership role and provides direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in computer programming or a related field and nine or more years of progressive experience in programming computer numerically controlled (CNC) machines.
- Preferred experience in Aerospace/DOD or other close tolerance machining field.
- Equivalent professional experience may be substituted in lieu of education. Must demonstrate an extensive technical expertise of CNC application principles, theories, and concepts, and must have project leadership skills including organizing, scheduling, and coordinating work assignments to meet project milestones or established completion dates.
- Must possess the ability to contribute to the development of new processes or systems, and resolve complex technical problems. Must be able to serve as spokesperson or leader on projects.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to identify issues, analyze and interpret data and develop innovative solutions to a variety of complex matters, (2) excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present findings to a variety of audiences including senior management and senior external parties, (3) excellent interpersonal skills to influence and guide all levels of employees, (4) the ability to effectively and efficiently initiate, plan, and manage projects, (5) the ability to represent the company as a technical expert on external projects, and (6) excellent computer skills including in depth knowledge of post processor development and/or modification.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.