Composite TechnicianDate posted 01/04/2019
Job ID#: 22020BR
Company: General Atomics Aeronautical Systems
Job Title: Composite Technician
Job Category: Manufacturing
City: Spanish Fork
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hourly
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Under limited supervision and working in a loud environment with a variety of epoxy agents, this position performs a variety of non-routine and non-repetitive procedures and assists in the fabrication, curing, build-up and assembly of various types of composite materials where required information is readily available, methods and sequences have been pre-determined and tooling is provided. Works to blueprints, templates, sample parts, process sheets and other authorized information.
This is a second shift position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the preparation of molds and forms.
- Mark and cut tape, woven material, honeycomb, adhesive and similar materials following templates, guides or specific dimensions and sequences.
- Route, drill, trim, and sand to blueprint dimensions and tolerances. Operate vacuum press as required. Assist in the lay-up of composite materials to molds.
- Fit and smooth successive layers of materials as necessary to secure build-up free from wrinkles, air pockets and voids following directions and instructions.
- Assist in the development of shop aids to facilitate fabrication, trimming and assembly as required.
- Assemble Aircraft components using structural adhesives, rivets and threaded fasteners.
- Prepare surface and paint composite and metal components including bodywork, contour shaping and sanding. Apply spray application of epoxy paints, urethane and water based epoxy coatings, using a high volume low-pressure spray gun.
- Check expiration dates of materials prior to use, prepare proper mixes of resins and catalysts.
- May make continuity checks on work in progress and may monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures.
- Maintain records as required. Supports the quality process by maintaining work area in an orderly condition by returning tools, equipment and materials to storage areas.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Additional Functions: Other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires High School diploma or equivalent and five or more years of related experience.
- Must be able to verbally communicate, read and comprehend written and verbal instructions, detailed blueprints and other similar authorized drawings and documents, and be capable of doing basic mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to use hand tools, such as rollers, paper cutters, scissors, x-acto knives, electric heat gun and fixtures such as molds and mandrels.
- Ability to use measuring instruments such as scales and protractors and calipers. Familiarity with common shop tools such as band saws, disk sanders, drill press, wood lathe, etc. May require respirator certification. Must be able to work in a loud environment; work extended hours as required; and be able to lift assemblies weighing up to 50 lbs.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? No