UNIX Systems Administrator
San Diego, California
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful UNIX Systems Administrator at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced UNIX Administrator to join our Systems & Infrastructure Ops team in San Diego, CA. Under general guidance of the Manager - Systems & Infrastructure, this position will be responsible for the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support Linux and UNIX systems – Primary: RHEL, Suse. Secondary: AIX and others.
- Install, configure, and manage Server Hardware and VMs using configuration management tools - Puppet, Satellite, Git, Centrify, SELinux.
- Provide strong scripting expertise and support as needed (bash, powershell, others).
- Support virtualization / cloud technologies – VMware, Kubernetes, Docker, Azure, AWS.
- Assist with Linux system monitoring and operation per system procedure – SNMP, Quest Foglight, Solarwinds Orion, Splunk.
- Create and modify Linux Groups and Accounts via Centrify and Active Directory.
- Manage tickets and ticket queue using ServiceNow.
- Provide assistance to users on a rotating on-call basis.
- Ensure all procedures and policies are completely followed and implemented.
- Perform additional duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree in information technology or a related discipline and ten or more years of progressive professional experience in an information technology department primarily in systems administration. May substitute equivalent working experience in the field in lieu of education.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Must demonstrate a complete understanding of system administration concepts, practices, and standards including but not limited to system installation, configuration and management, performance tuning and measurement, back-up, recovery, TCP/IP and related internet protocols and network concepts, security/firewalls, web servers, and load balancing.
- Must be customer focused and possess:
- Team player attitude
- Must have organizational skills including scheduling, conducting, and coordinating work assignments to meet project milestones or established completion dates.
- Must have experience performing in a high demand, high performance team setting.
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot issues related to user requests, Linux, monitoring and/or server hardware
- Basic analytical, verbal and written communications skills to accurately document findings
- Good interpersonal skills to interface with all levels of employees
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Excellent organization and time management skills to properly multi-task, resolve and track requests/issues
- Must provide mentorship to junior personnel on daily basis
- Able to handle workload challenges appropriately
- Must be able to contribute to the development of new processes and resolve a variety of complex technical problems in a creative and efficient manner.
- Understanding of key business application, such as:
- Apache / Tomcat
- High Performance Compute support (OS/hardware level)
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to identify issues, analyze and interpret data and develop solutions to a variety of highly complex problems; (2) excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present findings; (3) excellent interpersonal skills to guide employees; (4) the ability to represent the company as a knowledgeable resource on external projects; and (5) excellent computer skills. Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Secret-level Security Clearance.
- RHCE certification preferred.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager