Temporary Industrial HygienistDate posted 12/20/2016
Job ID#: 10691BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Temporary Industrial Hygienist
Job Category: Safety
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Temp Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hourly
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Industrial Hygienist to work with our Environmental Health and Safety Organization at our facility in La Jolla/Torrey Pines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Without appreciable direction, this position is responsible for the identification, evaluation, and control of environmental factors in or from the workplace or facility that may cause sickness, impaired health, discomfort or inefficiency among workers, visitors.
- Selects the method and technique with which to analyze data and situations, develops solutions and coordinates with supervisor on new or unique resolutions. Influences and guides employees/managers and external parties on actions to be taken.
- Plans, coordinates and initiates training and workplace environmental surveys to ensure effective implementation of policies and procedures.
- Initiates, plans and schedules project(s) to meet diverse objectives.
- Initiates changes/updates/modifications to Industrial Hygiene policies, procedures and practices.
- Conducts and coordinates investigations to obtain factual information concerning workplace environmental issue inquiries, and employee suggestion and/or complaints.
- Conducts interviews, interprets results and provides feedback to supervisor and/or assigned unit(s).
- Provides direction to support staff and may provide direction to less experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree in Industrial Hygiene or a related discipline, along with nine or more years of progressive experience as an Industrial Hygienist. Additional experience as an Industrial Hygienist may be substituted in lieu of education
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of the principles, theories and concepts of Industrial Hygiene; and, be able to demonstrate a complete and thorough knowledge of their practices, techniques and standards
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to identify issues and develop solutions to a variety of problems of diverse scope and complexity; (2) excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present findings to a variety of audiences including senior management and senior external parties; (3) excellent interpersonal skills to influence and guide all levels of employees, including senior managers and senior external parties; (4) the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information; (5) the ability to initiate, plan, and manage projects; (6) excellent computer skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel between facilities as required.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of other Environmental Health and Safety disciplines desirable (e.g. safety, environmental, occupational health, etc.)
- Assignment length is 6 months with potential contract to hire