San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer to join our Land and Maritime Systems team in Rancho Bernardo, CA. This position directly supports the Systems Integration and Test group managing requirements development, functional decomposition, change management and requirements verification of GA-EMS products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead system engineering activities across various programs or product lines.
- Lead the planning and execution of key Systems Engineering activities including:
- Development of a Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP)
- Elicit Stakeholder Needs.
- Defining operational concepts, developing system/subsystem requirements specifications, requirements analysis, and overall management of requirements.
- Support the execution and monitoring of the Risk Management Plan.
- Development of a Traceability Matrix.
- Develop Interface Control Documents.
- Lead technical discussions with the ability to interface across the organization with all levels of leadership.
- Lead SRRs, and provide support for PDR, CDR and Test and Operation Readiness reviews as required.
- Develop technical presentations and present engineering work products to senior staff and customer.
- Support the execution of the engineering process: design, development, integration, test and performance verification.
- Ensure accuracy of system requirements throughout hardware and software design and development process.
- Support the development of test plans and manage the integration, verification, validation and documentation of requirements through the system development cycle.
- Keeps comprehensive notes/records, provides formal documentation following established processes.
- Provide support for proposals/white papers, and interface with customers.
- Utilize requirements management database (DOORS).
- Provide valuable technical leadership on product design and development improvement projects in concert with Program Management and Engineering Leads.
- Provide technical input and assist with authoring new proposals.
- Manage Systems Engineering program execution to conform to company and customer processes.
- Support Engineering Leads and Program Managers in the development of Basis of Estimates.
- Ensures compliance, reporting, and safety standards are maintained.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Experience in writing technical documents such as test procedures and test reports is required.
- Must have experience in communicating technical information to peers and to customers.
- Working knowledge/experience in one or more of the following fields: Maritime Systems; High Energy Lasers, EO/IR sensors in Air, Sea, Space and Land environments is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience of Requirements Management Systems, support requirements, lifecycle planning and integration for DOD systems is desired.
- Experience with UML, SYSML modeling tools (MagicDraw) highly desirable
- Experience developing, conducting, and documenting requirements verification tests in development and production environments is required.
- Previous DOD experience highly desirable.
- Have a desire to work in a fast-paced testing environment.
- Must be able to work extended hours and travel as needed.
- Good computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), communication skills (verbal and written), and interpersonal skills are required.
- Multi-tasking team player with a hands-on approach; Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with customers and other departments and/or professionals; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer