San Diego, California
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Staff Buyer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity to work as a Staff Buyer out of our office located in Poway, CA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Purchases complex and mission critical equipment, services, parts and supplies necessary to support assigned contract(s), subcontract(s) or organization(s).
- May participate in the development of policies and procedures for purchasing while monitoring purchasing procedures and standards to ensure necessary regulatory compliance.
- Provides leadership in proposal reviews and conducts major procurement negotiations. Validates purchase requisitions, selects or recommends suppliers, develops and solicits bids, analyzes and evaluates responses, negotiates prices and other terms, monitors delivery, approves payment, and maintains necessary records.
- Acts as a resource for available or potential suppliers and reviews and evaluates their operations to validate cost, quality, reliability, and ability to meet schedule and budgetary requirements.
- Provides leadership in ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures and applicable government regulations.
- Compiles and analyzes statistical data to determine feasibility of buying products and to establish price objectives. Identifies, develops and selects qualified suppliers.
- Evaluates supplier reliability.
- Recommends changes/updates in purchasing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Oversees competitive and sole source procurements to meet required purchase dates and prepares required support documentation.
- Conducts major procurement negotiations involving agreements on terms and conditions as well as prices and schedules.
- Participates in cost and pricing reviews with program management and customers.
- Reviews and analyzes suppliers' bids. Performs cost and/or price analysis.
- Follows up, expedites, and negotiates changes relative to delivery and supplier performance.
- Maintains professional relationship with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Represents the organization as the primary purchasing contact on assigned contracts/subcontracts.
- Makes presentations as required.
- Provides guidance to less experienced professional purchasing and support staff.
- May participate in the selection, development, and training of purchasing staff.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree in business administration or related discipline along with ten or more years of progressive professional purchasing experience. Equivalent professional purchasing experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must have a thorough understanding of purchasing concepts and principles, FAR and related governmental rules and regulations; and experience demonstrating a broad application of those principles, concepts, and practices.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to provide innovative solutions to a range of complex purchasing problems; (2) strong communication and presentation skills to accurately document and report findings and communicate new concepts to a variety of audiences; (3) strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and guide employees, managers, and customers; (4) the ability to organize, schedule and coordinate multiple work phases; (5) the ability to lead less experienced purchasing staff on projects; and, (6) strong computer skills.
- SAP experience is desirable.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
- Travel may be required.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager