Sr. Network EngineerDate posted 09/15/2016
Job ID#: 9786BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Sr. Network Engineer
Job Category: Information Technology
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Network Engineer to join our Network Services Team in San Diego, CA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintenance of Local Area Networks, Wide Area Network, WiFi networks and virtual private networks (VPNs); planning, evaluation and coordination of installation and reconfiguration of hardware and software elements of data network.
- May contribute solutions to a wide range of difficult technical problems with hardware and software of the data communications network.
- installs or administers systems or services to provide network security and/or help ensure optimum network availability.
- Maintains knowledge of networks and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing including routers, switches, firewalls, bridges and gateways.
- Monitors and analyzes network usage and capacity for in-house systems.
- Participates in the evaluation of new communications technology to enhance the capabilities of the data network.
- Participates in the identification of solutions to ensure current and future data communications requirements are met.
- Participates in the preparation of network documentation, including operational instructions.
- May be the prime contact with supplier and vendors.
- May function in a leadership role to less experienced professional staff.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Extensive experience with Cisco routers and switches required; Minimum CCNA or CCNP level. CCNA, CCNP certification or equivalent experience preferred. CCIE certification a plus.
- Experience with Aruba wireless networking preferred.
- Experience with Juniper VPN a plus.
- Ability to work in a team environment a must.
- Typically requires a Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and nine or more years of progressive experience in computer and/or network support with a Bachelors or seven or more years with a Masters. Equivalent professional experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must demonstrate an extensive technical expertise of data network principles, theories, concepts and related disciplines and have project leadership skills including organizing, scheduling, conducting, and coordinating work assignments to meet project milestones or established completion dates.
- Must be able to contribute to the development of new processes or systems, resolve complex technical problems, and serve as spokesperson or leader on projects.
- Must be a technical expert in one or more information technology areas.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to identify issues, analyze and interpret data and develop innovative solutions to a variety of complex matters; (2) excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present findings to a variety of audiences including senior management and senior external parties: (3) excellent interpersonal skills to influence and guide all levels of employees, including senior managers and senior external parties; (4) the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information; (5) the ability to effectively and efficiently initiate, plan, and manage projects; (6) the ability to represent the company as a technical expert on external projects ; and (7) excellent computer skills. Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.