Sr. Electrical EngineerDate posted 07/18/2018
Job ID#: 19282BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Sr. Electrical Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
City: San Diego
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Electrical Engineer to work within our Magnetic Fusion Technologies (MFE) group in support of the DIII-D program in San Diego, CA, the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor and other fusion facilities. This position under general supervision with limited review will conduct microwave design, analysis, and fabrication of electron cyclotron equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Design, manufacture, test, and deliver overmoded transmission line components for commercial / government contracts.
Work with customers to develop requirements for electron cyclotron microwave components.
Interface with the Electron Cyclotron (EC) community. Document design and analyses, and communicates results to staff and EC community via technical presentations.
Conduct high power tests of MFE Technologies microwave components at Fusion testing facilities.
Design and analyze new microwave components, particularly corrugated waveguide. This requires familiarity with electromagnetic theory and the use of numerical simulation tools.
Perform research and development efforts in development of new manufacturing techniques to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
Provides direction to technician staff.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have knowledge of electromagnetic theory, and some knowledge of RF principles. It is also useful to have understanding of materials used for transmitting high RF power, as well as heat transfer theory. Must possess the ability to understand new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Ability to manage multiple 6- to 12-month projects simultaneously. This includes creating and maintaining budgets and schedules.
- Experience with C, Matlab, Fortran, Python or other similar software engineering analysis packages. Working knowledge of MS Office Suite. Experience with Solidworks and High Frequency Structure Simulator desirable.
- Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? No