Software Engineer V - Air Force
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Software Engineer V - Air Force at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
Develop software for the industry leading Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS). Under general supervision with minimal guidance, this position executes and/or reviews all phases of the software development lifecycle including: requirements, design, code, unit test, and functional test on target hardware while upholding software compliance standards. Daily tasks include, but not limited to: developing and reviewing software requirements to fulfill project needs, developing and reviewing innovative software design solutions and relative design documentation, communicating designs up, down, and laterally within and beyond the software engineering department, writing and reviewing code, hands-on functional unit/integration testing of software on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Ground Control Stations in on-site systems integration lab and at off-site flight test facilities. Developer will collaborate with subject matter experts, outside customers and vendors, UAS operators, and management throughout the development lifecycle.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determine UAS user requirements and specifications and plan for software development within the broader organizational scope.
- Develop software design documentation and software design modeling.
- Implement documented design including coding and testing while adhering to coding standards.
- UAS code maintenance including debugging and capability enhancements.
- Assist in planning for future applications based on new developments in UAS technology.
- Communicate software requirements and design with the software development group, management, customer, and operators.
- Independently plan and status own work with minimal guidance.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in computer science, information system or related discipline and progressive software development experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Must be able to adhere to department guidelines, processes, and standards.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Ability to organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level and to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance is required
- Proficient in C/C++
- Experience in additional programming languages: C#, Java, Python, Makefile system
- Experience with real time operating/embedded systems
- Experience in both Windows and Linux environments
- Experience in Unified Modeling Language
- Experience in source version control tools: subversion
- Experience in conforming to Interface Control Documents/Data Sheets
- Experience with developing software unit level tests
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office products
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer