Software Engineer, UAS Mission Processing
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Software Engineer, UAS Mission Processing at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We are currently looking for a Software Engineer (C/C++) to join our Software Development group within our Mission Processing team in Poway, CA.
As a Software Engineer for GA-ASI, you will research, design, develop and/or modify enterprise-wide end–user, system level, and data management software applications that correlate directly to the technologies that are integrated into our Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and develop C/C++/Java services using object-oriented design patterns on Linux for sensor management and data processing software.
- Responsible for unit testing, integration testing, software maintenance, and documentation and meeting software quality and compliance standards.
- Evaluates integration of software applications with the overall computing environment.
- Communicates with domain experts, users, and management throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Contributes to planning of application development and deployment.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in computer science, information systems or related discipline and progressive software development experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Should have experience with the following: C/C++ application development, OOP, TCP/UDP Socket programming and multi-threaded application development on Linux OS
- Other tools/skills desired: C++ 11, Java, C#, Scripting languages (Bash, Python), Open Source and Unit Testing Tools.
- Must have a general understanding of software development concepts, principles, and theory and demonstrate the ability to follow and apply the use of programming and analysis concepts.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other professionals, to produce appropriate documentation, and to present results to a internal audience.
- Experience with SCM tools is desired.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance or U.S. Citizenship is required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer