Software DeveloperDate posted 09/27/2018
Job ID#: 20921BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Software Developer
Job Category: Information Technology
City: San Diego
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hourly
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Software Developer within our Energy group supporting the Magnetic Fusion Energy Division. This position, under general supervision and with regular review, researches, designs, develops and/or modifies enterprise-wide end–user, system level, and data management software applications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in a number of innovative computer science research projects whose end goal is applied software development for computational support of fusion energy science research and the DIII-D National Fusion Facility.
- Determines requirements/approaches/solutions for projects for enterprise software development within the broader organizational scope. Software development encompasses end-user, system level, and data management applications.
- Formulates detailed plans and implements software solutions including language, coding, platform, resource requirements, testing and documentation for a wide variety of applications including scientific simulation, large-scale data management, scientific analysis, and remote collaboration (remote participation and remote control).
- Assists in the implementation of enterprise applications including coding, testing, and documentation with cross-platform compliance.
- Codes maintenance of enterprise solutions including debugging and updating to ensure viability in an evolving environment.
- Assists in planning for future applications based on new developments in computer technology including network programming, application development & testing, user support, and long-term design & planning of future computational capability for the DIII-D National Fusion Facility.
- Communicates with the software developer group, with users, and with management as well as with the wider community through the publishing and presentation of technical papers.
- Provides application and computer system support for DIII-D plasma operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science, information systems or related discipline and two or more years progressive software development experience with a Bachelor’s degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a general understanding of software development design concepts, principles, and theory and demonstrate complete understanding and application of programming and analysis concepts.
- Experience in the Linux environment including tools for configuring, building, linking, debugging, profiling, maintaining software and version control.
- Experience in Object Oriented Python, OO programming/analysis/design, and code optimization.
- Good communication, computer and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other professionals, to produce appropriate documentation, and to present results to an internal audience. The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential.
- Ability to effectively support the end user in a large group environment.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required.
- Desirable qualifications include:
- Experience with Interactive Shell Scripting, C/C++, Interactive Data Language (IDL), MATLAB, Fortran, and/or GPU-based programming.
- Experience with database (e.g. SQL, NoSQL) design and implementation in a scientific data analysis environment.
- Experience High Performance Computing and parallel processing.
- Experience with GUI components and/or analytical algorithm development.
- Experience with research in the DOE/OASCR and SciDAC environments.
- Experience with presentation and publication of research.
Travel Percentage Required : None
Clearance Required? No