Software Developer - SkyGuard
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Hourly
Job Level: Entry-Level (0-2 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Software Developer - SkyGuard at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Entry Level Software Developer to join our GA-ASI Software Development team located in Poway, CA. Under general supervision and with on-going review this position researches, designs, develops and/or modifies enterprise-wide end-user, system level, and data management software applications. Responsible for meeting software compliance standards; evaluates integration of software applications with the overall computing environment; and documentation, testing, maintenance, and software updates. Communicates with domain experts, users, and management throughout the software development lifecycle.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determine user requirements and specifications and plan for software development within the broader organizational scope. Software development includes end-user, system level, and data management applications.
- Formulate detailed plans for the implementation of software solutions. In addition to program design this includes determining language, platform, and resource requirements.
- Implementation of design including coding, testing, and documentation.
- Deployment of applications across the enterprise including cross- platform compliance and insuring availability of necessary resources.
- Code maintenance including debugging and updating to keep pace with the evolving environment.
- Assist in planning for future applications based on new developments in computer technology.
- Communicate with the software developer group, with users, and with management as well as with the wider community.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree in computer science, information systems or related discipline. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Demonstrated fluency in developing software using C/C++ and Linux based environments.
- Must have a basic understanding of software development concepts, principles, and theory and demonstrate the ability to follow and apply basic use of programming and analysis concepts.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Good communication, computer and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other professionals, to produce appropriate documentation, and to present results to a limited internal audience.
- The ability to work both independently and on a team is essential. Able to work extended hours as required.
- Experience developing the following:
- Embedded software in C.
- Object oriented application software in C++.
- Model Based software using SCADE.
- Software utilizing UART networks or serial communication.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer