Senior Staff Electrical Engineer - MPEx
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Senior Staff Electrical Engineer - MPEx at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
Our Mission, Payloads, and Exploitation (MPEx) team has developed a family of UAV payload products that are based on unique antenna technologies that enable significant new airborne ISR missions. The Electrical Engineering Organization at GA-ASI MPEx is looking for a highly experienced Senior Staff Electrical Engineer with a background in antenna design and development. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership in the development of new IP; utilize technical skills in addressing a broad range of antenna related challenges; participate in strategic planning and program development; and represent GA-ASI Engineering at customer meetings. The successful candidate will draw upon experiences in the development and fielding of new RF/Microwave Systems, Program Development, New Business Capture, and Strategic Planning.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualizes and articulates innovative resolutions to the most highly technical and complex engineering problems.
- Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between organizations.
- Provides leadership, direction and guidance for developing solution to engineering problems.
- Advises or directs the planning for the implementation of engineering solutions including strategic objectives and timetables.
- Participates in or directs the allocation of technical resources and professional staff to achieve objectives.
- Prepares status/progress reports and ensure compliance, reporting, and safety standards are maintained.
- Provides leadership in representing the technical capabilities of the organization to national and international audiences.
- Functions as an influential presence in attracting and retaining engineering business as well as key professional staff.
- Effectively counsels, mentors and transfers specialized technical engineering knowledge of the highest level and complexity to management, professional and support staff.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- This position typically requires a bachelor's degree, master's degree or PhD in Engineering or related technical field and progressively complex engineering experience as follows; twenty or more years experience with a bachelor's degree, eighteen or more years experience with a master's degree, and fifteen or more with a PhD. Equivalent experience may be substituted for education.
- The successful candidate must be a recognized expert in one or more engineering fields as demonstrated by: (1) original work(s) published in professional engineering journals; (2) invited presentations to national or international engineering symposiums; (3) participation as Chair on national and international engineering review panels; and, (4) engineering patents held.
- The successful candidate must possess the ability to: (1) shape the resolution of unusually complex technical problems; (2) champion the development of new concepts and principles; and, (3) serve as an expert spokesperson for those concepts or principles.
- Must also possess outstanding communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, be customer focused, and able to work on a self-initiated basis or in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- US citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer