Senior RF Systems Engineer (Datalinks)
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Senior RF Systems Engineer (Datalinks) at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity for an RF Systems Engineer in our RF Communications Datalink group. Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for technical and project leadership with initial focus on leading and coordinating system-level design for the customer datalink. Major areas include the overall datalink technical leadership, subcontractor technical management, and coordinating with the aircraft IPT team for the datalink design, integration, and flight test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work within a group of RF datalink engineers to support GA-ASI datalink roadmap and multiple datalink projects. Coordinate segments of a project and may have frequent inter-organization and customer contact on difficult technical issues. Brief the senior management about the project’s progress, status, and plan.
- Work with the customer to understand requirements, document findings, and communicates results to engineering staff. Make technical presentations to the customer and senior management as required.
- Flow down requirements to GA-ASI engineering or subcontractors into Technical Requirement Specification (TRS) and Statement of Work (SOW). Work with the program office to perform technical management and leadership over other GA-ASI engineering and subcontractors.
- Work in System Integration Lab (SIL) for the datalink integration and test. Work with other GA-ASI organization to assist or lead datalink flight tests.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Thorough understanding of Beyond Line Of Sight (BLOS) satellite communications and Line-Of-Sight (LOS) data links for Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS).
- Familiar with major satellite operators, their capabilities, and fleet coverage.
- Familiar with the product line of major datalink suppliers.
- Prior in-depth experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Satellite communications systems, RF communication systems, military datalinks, military RF networks
- Military modems, antennas, radios, VHF/UHF communication
- Must have experience with RF systems analysis including link budgets, noise analysis, gain budgets, modulation/demodulation signal analysis, error correction coding.
- Experience with writing technical requirements, specifications, Statement-of-Work (SOW). Mus have the capability to organize, schedule, coordinate work phases, and determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems
- Able to work in a lab environment and have hands on experience working with test equipment. Must have good datalink trouble shooting skills.
- U.S. citizenship required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer