Senior Project Engineer - EO/IR Systems
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Senior Project Engineer - EO/IR Systems at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Engineer to join our Mission Payloads and Exploitation (MPEx) Project Engineering (PE) team here in San Diego.
MPEx is looking for experienced, cross-functional technical leaders with a strong background in Electro-Optical and Infrared (EO/IR) and related turreted sensor systems for a Project Technical Lead position. In this role, the selected candidate will be part of the Advanced Sensors and Payloads Project Engineering group with responsibilities that include technical leadership and direct contributions to programs, proposals, and planning efforts.
Further, the candidate will support the development and integration of airborne turreted and gimbaled optical subsystems, including laser designation and laser illumination applications. Related efforts will include EO/IR sensor payload integration into the aircraft and ground control elements to include power, network, datalink and software Command and Control (C2) applications. In this role, the Project Engineer will contribute to both domestic and international programs and business opportunities within these technologies. The candidate will lead efforts on EO/IR sensor data integration to Autonomy, Automation and Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications. Additional responsibilities include turreted system sustainment to address field issues and related domestic and international customer coordination.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage complex software projects and cross functional engineering teams as primary Engineering point of contact. Execute to cost, schedule, and performance
- Manage a cross functional team of experienced engineers in the development and integration of complex systems including Aircraft, Payload, Ground Station, and Operation Center Software and Hardware components
- Work effectively with program management, senior leadership, customers, and functional engineering leads to plan and execute software programs from cradle to grave
- Work with functional departments to assign technical leads, and managing those matrix assigned resources to help meet the program objectives
- Demonstrate proficiency in software development technologies, architectures, methodologies, processes, and the application of Systems Engineering principles to software development
- Must be able to lead top-down and bottom-up requirements development, SW architecture, reviews, development and testing, and coordinate these activities with cross functional support teams
- Able to function in a technical leadership role, as well as contribute directly to system architectures and requirements development
- Create technology development strategies in alignment with product/strategic roadmaps
- Adhere to development processes; Organize and lead technical reviews and gain
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have previous experience in Project Management or similar role, and experience in technical leadership with an emphasis on project execution as well as product innovation
- Must have an excellent understanding of software development technologies and concepts
- Prior experience in the following technologies: Electro-Optics and Infrared, optical physics and related applications, laser designation/illumination application, payload Command and Control (C2), Human Machine Interface (HMI), Mission Systems, Open Architecture Concepts, Avionics, Electrical Systems, Computers and Networks, Product Exploitation, Human Machine Interfaces, network routing and protocols, message-oriented interfaces
- Working knowledge of software development lifecycles with demonstrated software development experience
- Must have excellent communication skills to effectively interact with staff and senior management verbally and in writing
- Experience leading large cross functional engineering teams is desired.
- Candidate is desired to have experience with Product Management, Systems Engineering, Proposal Development, Basis of Estimation, Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS); Commercial and/or DOD Product development
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer