Senior Project Engineer - Certification IPT
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Senior Project Engineer - Certification IPT at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity in our MQ-9B UAS group. Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for systems engineering and project engineering support for the Certification Integrated Product Team. Initial focus will be overseeing and coordinating Certification documentation activities for UK Military Type Certification of a new unmanned aircraft variant currently in development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As a member of the Certification IPT, provide systems engineering support as follows:
- Coordinate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Certification Verification Engineers (CVEs), Office of Airworthiness and Systems Safety Group.
- Coordinate certification efforts including drafting of compliance declaration sheets and compliance summary reports, review test plans, track and status update certification requirement verification tasks.
- Provide project engineering support in conjunction with the program management as follows:
- Work with Certification IPT Lead to define work scope, deliverables, budget estimates (NRE, materials, travel), and schedule for next year and out-years tasking to support IRAD and customer program(s).
- Work with the functional engineering managers to ensure priorities are well defined and resource allocations are planned to ensure adequate staffing.
- Define status milestones and due dates to keep certification on-track and ensure management awareness of task summaries, schedule status, budget status, and technical issues as needed.
- Represent the Chief Engineer’s office at design reviews and Technical Interchange Meetings (TIMs) and weigh-in on the technical, schedule and budget needs of the program.
- Coordinate with functional design engineers from various technical areas to solve relevant certification issues and keep certification efforts on track and within program scope.
- Act as technical representative for customer and management meetings by presenting technical content at design reviews (e.g. Certification Panels, SRRs, PDRs, CDRs, etc.…).
- Coordinate meetings and technical reviews with responsible design engineers and subcontractors.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree or two or more years of experience with a master’s degree.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Background in aviation qualification and certification is desired.
- Experience with FAA Regulations and/or MIL Specifications desired.
- Experience with critical thinking and creative problem solving in a fast paced environment is desired.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have excellent verbal/written communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one engineering area; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Experience with Cost Account Management (CAM) and Earned Value Management (EVM) is desired.
- Able to work extended hours and to travel to flight test facilities in Southern California and Arizona as required.
- US Citizenship required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer