Senior Cybersecurity Systems Engineer
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Senior Cybersecurity Systems Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
In this position, the employee will give support to GA projects and obtain/maintain the regulatory compliance's such as Accreditation and Authorization (A&A), Interim Authority to Test (IATT) and Authorization to Operate (ATO). The employee will follow the Risk Management Framework (RMF) Process, cradle to grave by defining security requirements to implementation and test and support leading to an authorization. The employee will need to be able to analyze and recommend security features on all facets of the UAS. An advanced understanding of developing and maintaining RMF artifacts will be key to this position.
- The Cyber Security Systems Engineer must have experience assessing an over-arching set of environments including hardware/system configurations in order to:
- Develop security engineering solutions for UAS hardware and software
- Communicate status of the project to stakeholders
- Ensure cyber risks are mitigated and communicated effectively to the customer
- Be responsive to information technology guidelines, policies and directives
- Implement and maintain security features in addition to developing test procedures
- Educate non-cybersecurity personnel about the cybersecurity engineering process and importance of cybersecurity
- An understanding of encryption, firewalls, antivirus, etc. are required for this position.
- Requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a bachelors degree or two or more years of experience with a masters degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one engineering area; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Preferred certifications for the position include, but are not limited to:
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- CSSLP (Certified Secure Software Lifecycle Professional)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- CASP (CompTia Advanced Security Practitioner)
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer