Scientist, EnvironmentalDate posted 10/28/2016
Job ID#: 10120BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Scientist, Environmental
Job Category: Scientists
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Scientist to work within our Environmental, Health & Safety team, located in San Diego, CA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
- May coordinate segments of a complex environmental compliance and site remediation project that involves indoor air quality issues, chemicals in soil, and chemicals in ground water.
- Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for determining and developing effective approaches for resolving a wide range of challenging environmental science and regulatory compliance problems.
- Supports operations or specific projects by researching and developing effective solutions to resolve a wide range of challenging environmental science problems including, but not limited to, regulatory compliance, environmental site assessment, and environmental remediation.
- Prepares scopes of work and other required materials for requests for proposal, evaluates bids, selects winning proposals, and monitors technical aspects and schedule of environmental consultants’ work.
- Conducts environmental research/investigations, creates documents and reports, and makes technical presentations as required, e.g., to explain conclusions and suggested resolutions.
- Performs, or directs the performance of, Phase I and II environmental site assessments to meet due diligence requirements for real estate transactions.
- May have frequent inter-organization and regulatory agency contact on technical issues.
- May direct the collection of environmental data through air, soil, water, and other material samples, including specifying the protocols for analyzing the samples and interpreting the analytical results.
- May direct the activities of environmental consultants, technicians and the organization’s less experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in scientific or related technical field and progressively complex scientific experience as follows: four or more years’ experience with a Bachelor’s degree and two or more years’ experience with a Master’s degree. Equivalent scientific experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
Degree in Environmental Science/Engineering is strongly preferred.
Must have; (1) a complete understanding of environmental science concepts, principles, and theory; (2) experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, (3) an expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related specialties such as hydrogeology, soil chemistry, indoor air quality, groundwater monitoring, and environmental site assessment.
Knowledge of, and experience with, current groundwater, soil, soil vapor, and air sampling methods and analytical techniques.
Knowledge of, and experience with, relevant federal and state environmental regulations and means of compliance are strongly preferred.
Must possess the ability to; (1) understand new concepts quickly; (2) apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; (3) organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, (4) determine the appropriate approach at the task level or the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in related scientific areas; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
Able to work extended hours and travel as required.