Quantum Software DeveloperDate posted 08/21/2019
Job ID#: 25127BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Quantum Software Developer
Job Category: Engineering, Scientists
City: San Diego
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Quantum Software Developer within GA’s Energy group to support quantum computing (QC) for applications in energy sciences. The most immediate focus is the application of QC for chemistry and materials science research within the framework of magnetic fusion energy. The project(s) will be centered around formulations of quantum physics and chemistry problems for QC hardware, simulators, and hybrid quantum-classical approaches. To be successful in this role, the quantum software developer will need to be highly motivated and capable of independently formulating representations of the quantum systems for quantum computation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Construct target Hamiltonians for quantum systems of interest and construct representative quantum circuits.
- Implement and execute quantum calculations on physical hardware or simulators and interpret results.
- Investigate and propose novel advanced methods for improving quantum calculations.
- Work with scientists and engineers to investigate properties of novel material systems related to energy science and propose new applications of QC in energy sciences.
- Disseminate work in peer-reviewed papers, conference presentations or patents where applicable.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in computer science, information systems or a related discipline and progressive software development experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a bachelors degree or two or more years of experience with a masters degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Ph.D. in Quantum Physics/Chemistry, Condensed Matter Physics, Computational Physics, Mathematical Physics, Quantum Information Science, or relevant degree.
- Strong background in theory and simulations of bosonic and fermionic physics. Must be able to formulate Hamiltonian for quantum chemical systems of interest, including first and second quantization representations, and map formulation to unitary quantum gate operations.
- Experience in quantum programming using open libraries such as OpenFermion/Cirq and/or QISKIT.
- Knowledge of quantum information theory, QC hardware, quantum gate modeling, quantum error correction, and/or quantum algorithm design.
- Established history of conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications, preferably with emphasis on quantum chemistry problems using quantum computers.
- Must have a general understanding of software development design concepts, principles, and theory and demonstrate complete understanding and application of programming and analysis concepts.
- Good communication, computer and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other scientists, engineers and managers from different institutions both domestic and international. The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required.
- Desirable qualifications include:
- Familiar with quantum error-correction and fault-tolerant QC.
- Familiar with quantum annealing and adiabatic QC approaches (e.g. QUBO).
- Experience using QC hardware and simulators, including hardware based on semiconductor, photon, and/or ion trap platforms.
- Experience with software lifecycle development including specification, design, implementation, testing, & maintenance.
- Experience in Object Oriented Python, OO programming/analysis/design, and code optimization.
- Experience in the Linux environment including tools for configuring, building, linking, debugging, profiling, maintaining software and version control.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
US Citizenship Required? No
Clearance Required? No