Publications CoordinatorDate posted 11/04/2016
Job ID#: 10292BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Publications Coordinator
Job Category: Administrative
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hourly
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, highly detailed, Publications Specialist to work within the Publications team supporting our Energy Group and working with international publishers. Under limited supervision, this position will be responsible for formatting, producing, and revising technical documents, presentations, reports, and scientific journal articles from handwritten and electronic documents requiring a strong working knowledge in MS Word and PowerPoint.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Utilize strong working knowledge in the use the MS Office ‘Styles’ tools, ability to create new style templates, and the ability to create and utilize Office templates.
Determine project requirements and presents drafts of finished product to customer.
Heavy utilization of equations and tables.
Conduct advanced word-processing, document set-up, editing, proofreading, formatting, document publishing and work with subject matter experts to create high quality, technically accurate documents for scientific journals.
Edit punctuation, spelling, grammar, and consistency of terminology for technical accuracy.
Collaborate with international scientific editors and authors to confirm adherence to in-house and international publishers’ markups and style guidelines.
Ensure that appropriate formatting is applied to content to facilitate production and, when necessary, conversion to other formats.
Proof graphics for integration into desktop publication programs following specific formats.
Interface with authors and illustrators, in coordinating and preparing final drafts.
Maintains electronic and physical files for all publication materials.
Maintain production logs for tracking project scheduling, budgeting, and billing.
Maintains up-to-date desktop publishing skills including integrating text, equations, graphics, and tables, utilizing automated table(s) of contents, auto figure and table numbering, auto page numbering and publishing with MS Word.
Must possess strong follow-up skills and be able to track work efficiently and accurately.
Must possess strong customer services skills and be able to communicate concisely and professionally.
Interfaces with individuals in own department, contacts within the organization, as well as external customers.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Requires a High School diploma and four or more years of progressive experience in desktop publishing/word processing in a commercial or government organization or a related field. Equivalent additional work experience in publishing/word processing may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use a Mac computer to transcribe text, equations, tables, figures, and forms; and, have a complete understanding of applicable software such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe AcrobatPro; as well as experience demonstrating the effective use of the software. Knowledge of LaTeX is preferred.
- Must possess the ability to successfully organize, schedule, establish priorities, meet established timelines and deadlines, and coordinate multiple work phases under tight deadlines.
- Must be capable of determining the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level; and, provide solutions to a variety of complex publishing/word processing problems while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Strong follow-up skills and tracking of work is essential.
- Must be able to communicate and interface effectively and professionally with all levels of staff, including management; as well as authors, both native, and non-native English speaking.
- Must be able to accurately interpret and explain complex information, and respond to complex issues or situations that require evaluation and interpretation.
- Must possess a strong understanding of customer service practices and its importance for the success of our authors and the advancement and reputation of the Energy and Advanced Concepts DIII-D Division in the international science community.
- Must possess the ability to work well independently, and cohesively, as part of a team.
- Able to work extended hours, as required.