San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Project Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Project Engineer in our Aircraft Systems department with a focus on systems engineering for software and integration programs. Under general directions with limited review, this position is responsible for applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual or complex engineering problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide systems engineering and technical management for the development, fabrication, testing, integration and maintenance of new or existing systems on GA-ASI, Unmanned Air Systems (UAS).
- Perform system analysis, develop system designs, and generate requirements; as well as develop and maintain project plans, estimates, and schedules.
- Represent the organization as the prime technical contact to customers and/or government regulatory agencies.
- Devise new approaches to resolve unusual or complex engineering problems.
- Direct activities of design or technical staff and lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements, difficult coordination requirements, and special material requirements.
- Support the development of test plans and manage the integration, verification and validation of systems through flight test.
- Perform hands-on troubleshooting in test environment.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects to ensure that deliverables, budget and schedule are met successfully while working with assigned engineering groups.
- Manage and communicate risks and action items during project life cycle.
- Development and presentation of technical material for review; present reports at engineering meetings, participate in project reviews and consult on problems.
- Additional duties as required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must demonstrate an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must have ability to read and interpret electrical engineering drawings.
- Must have ability to direct system-level design through interconnects and interface control documentation.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must be able to formulate plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Software, Radio Frequency, and Computer Networking experience is a plus.
- A Professional Engineering License is desirable.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer