Product & Project Quality Engineer - CompositesDate posted 08/18/2016
Job ID#: 9590BR
Company: General Atomics Aeronautical Systems
Job Title: Product & Project Quality Engineer - Composites
Job Category: Quality
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Provides composites manufacturing expertise in planning, executing and evaluating complicated quality engineering, quality control and manufacturing tasks involving varied inputs within programmatic constraints. Responsible for the quality assurance program implementation and success on one or more major project(s). Provides expertise and guidance in interpreting quality standards and government regulations. Consults with engineering and manufacturing to ensure quality standards are in place and applied successfully. Works on highly complex and diverse problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variance factors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies and provides solutions for design or manufacturing issues and/or enhancements.
- Determines technical objectives for quality assurance and leads approaches to achieving objectives.
- Creates design, dimensional or manufacturing process changes to improve products and reduce costs.
- Devises and implements unique methods and procedures for inspecting, testing and evaluating the precision and accuracy of products and production equipment. Participates in functional testing and/or inspection of equipment and systems.
- Audits quality systems for deficiency identification and correction. Leads resolution to complex and diverse problems by providing guidance and direction to quality engineering and technical staff.
- May prepare statistical analysis reports, specifications and other technical documents.
- Interprets and adapts quality standards and government regulations.
- Acts as company contact with suppliers, customers and regulatory personnel to resolve quality issues. Delivers technical presentations.
- Provides project direction and leadership to other staff members.
- In some business units, resolves, communicates and tracks non-conformance, material rejection and corrective action reports and chairs material review board. May also perform internal company audits and conduct vendor qualification examinations.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Experience in composites manufacturing, design, materials and process preferred
- Requires a bachelor's or master's degree in engineering or related discipline and eight or more years of related experience with a bachelor's degree or six or more years with a master's degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Must be able to apply a detailed understanding of inspection methods and have strong knowledge of computer operations and applications. Must have a strong knowledge of concepts, techniques, and methods in a particular field of specialization.
- Must have the analytical ability required to develop creative solutions to complex quality issues and the skills required to present those solutions to internal and external contacts.
- Must be detail-oriented to accurately prepare statistical reports and technical documents in support of company objectives.
- Must have strong leadership skills to direct staff members and ensure project costs and schedules are maintained while representing the organization on technical quality assurance issues.
- Able to deliver effective technical presentations and work extended hours as required.
- ASQ certification (CQE, CSQE, MOQ/QE, Six Sigma Blackbelt or Lean) preferred.