Opto Mechanical EngineerDate posted 02/12/2019
Job ID#: 22646BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Opto Mechanical Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
City: San Diego
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity available for an Opto Mechanical Engineer to join our team working within the Photonics Group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. The Photonics engineering team is focused on the design, development, fabrication and integration of high energy laser systems, laser weapons systems, satellite systems, advanced technologies and advanced sensors that provide targeting, tracking and identification functionality.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the engineering staff in the analysis, investigation and resolution of routine engineering problems.
- Working on aerospace systems, high energy lasers, electro-optical systems, space systems and other various systems.
- Responsible for performing opto-mechanical designs including: structural analysis, thermal analysis, 3D CAD and engineering drawings.
- Identify critical requirements and develop risk reduction plans.
- Addresses complex and difficult technical issues requiring highly creative approaches, drawing on advanced engineering concepts.
- Responsible for working within a multidisciplinary team environment that is a hands on work environment and high level of interaction with system components.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and two or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education. Must have a basic understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theory
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts, including vibrations, stress analysis, fluids and heat transfer. Experience with CAD, FEM, Zemax and CFD is desired. Being able to verify analysis predictions by hand is required.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Must be able to communicate ideas and solutions with upper management both verbally and in written form.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Desired
Clearance Level Secret