Financial AccountantDate posted 01/11/2019
Job ID#: 22239BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Financial Accountant
Job Category: Finance/Accounting
City: San Diego
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity as a Financial Accountant which is located at the facilities in Torrey Pines, CA. Under general direction, this position is responsible for developing, implementing, and/or maintaining one or more general accounting system(s). Prepares journal entries, maintains and reconciles ledger accounts. Provides record of assets, liabilities and other financial transactions. Balances books periodically and prepares financial statements. May prepare federal, state and local reports and tax returns. May analyze and interpret reports and records for managers and prepare cost structures for new and existing areas of the company. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Makes internal presentations as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform key accounting functions including consolidation and reporting, month end close processes, journal entries, account reconciliations and other accounting responsibilities meeting established deadlines.
- Support audits by interacting with multiple teams within the Company and with the external auditors.
- Assist in the implementation of newly issued authoritative accounting guidance.
- Analyze and develop solutions for complex and non-routine transactions.
- Work within multiple teams and various business functions across the Company to implement, update, and refine related accounting policies and procedures.
- Contribute analyses and recommendations of needed process and system improvements.
- Assist in determining the quantitative and qualitative financial reporting results of changes in the Company’s business and new transactions.
- May assist in training or an advisory role to others.
- Ensure that various accounting transactions are in compliance with US GAAP and applicable company policies. Knowledge of cost accounting standards and FAR a plus.
- Participate in special projects, as needed.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of all information.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or related discipline is required.
At least 6 years of experience in a financial reporting role within a private company. Public accounting experience within a Big 4 firm or national firm a plus. Experience at a government contractor a plus.
Solid foundation in understanding and applying authoritative US GAAP.
Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
Experience with evaluating and recommending improvements to internal control processes and systems either from an independent audit or a private company environment.
Ability to understand complicated topics, apply critical thinking and judgment, and make informed recommendations. Must be open to continuous learning.
Maintain a high level of professional ethics and integrity.
Excellent interpersonal skills; comfort in interacting with people in different Company functions.
Able to multitask efficiently, meet deadlines. Must be able to balance independent work with contributing in a team environment.
Strong competency in Word and Excel and willingness to learn new systems.
Knowledge/experience with ERP business systems is desired (SAP preferable).
Able to work extended hours and travel as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? No