Environmental EngineerDate posted 12/22/2016
Job ID#: 10291BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Environmental Engineer
Job Category: Scientists
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for determining and developing and implementing an effective environmental program and providing consultation on a wide range of challenging environmental science and regulatory requirements. Develops, implements, and advises on modifications to environmental program processes and procedures. Develops programs to ensure compliance with required federal, state and local agencies. Ensures records and documents are prepared, maintained and submitted to appropriate agencies. May represent the company as the primary spokesperson with external regulators, auditors and government representatives. Provides leadership and guidance to less experienced personnel. May coordinate segments of complex environmental compliance and site remediation projects and perform, or direct the performance of, Phase I and II environmental site assessments. This position involves the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs chlorinated solvent and other investigations with primary focus on collection, analysis, and evaluation of air, soil, soil gas, and groundwater samples.
- Performs soil testing for levels of chlorinated solvents and other contaminants
- Support operations or specific projects by researching and developing effective solutions to resolve a wide range of challenging environmental related topics including, but not limited to, regulatory compliance, environmental site assessment, and environmental remediation.
- May coordinate segments of complex environmental compliance and site remediation projects that involve indoor air quality issues, chemicals in soil, and/or chemicals in ground water. Including preparing scopes of work and other required materials for requests for proposal, evaluates bids, selects winning proposals, and monitors technical aspects and schedule of environmental consultants’ work.
- May conduct environmental research/investigations, including directing the collection of environmental data through air, soil, water, and other samples, specifying the protocols for analyzing the samples, interpreting the results, creating documents and reports, and making technical presentations re: conclusions recommendations.
- Monitor pollution prevention activities as well as environmental compliance and auditing efforts.
- Review and analyze environmental documentation issued by the federal, state, and local regulatory agencies, some of which may be highly complex. Determines impact on company operations, and develops compliance strategies and requirements. Make recommendations to senior management on actions to be taken..
- May represent the company as the primary contact with environmental-related regulators and inspectors to resolve technical compliance issues and assist in regulatory audits.
- Develop, maintain, and conduct training on environmental compliance topics. Tailor training for individual departments and work areas.
- Perform, or coordinate the performance of, Phase I and II environmental site assessments to meet due diligence requirements for real estate transactions.
- May coordinate the activities of environmental consultants, technicians and the organization’s less experienced staff.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in environmental science/engineering or a related technical field and nine or more years of progressively complex related experience. Additional education may be substituted in lieu of professional experience.
- Recent experience with remediation involving chlorinated solvents strongly preferred.
- Must demonstrate a detailed and complete understanding of, and experience with, environmental science/engineering principles, concepts, practices, theories, environmental regulations (and means of compliance) and have extensive organizational skills including planning, scheduling and coordinating workloads to meet established deadline or milestones.
- Must possess: (1) the ability to analyze and resolve unusually complex technical problems and provide solutions; (2) excellent verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report and present findings; (3) strong interpersonal skills to effectively interface with others inside or outside the company; and (4) strong computer skills.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to specialties such as hydrogeology, soil chemistry, air quality, groundwater monitoring, environmental site assessment.
- Knowledge of and experience with current groundwater, soil, soil vapor and air sampling and analyses techniques is strongly preferred.
- The ability to work independently and in a team environment (and as a team leader) is essential, as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.