Electronics Manufacturing Engineer
San Diego, California
Assemblers, Machinists, Material and Production Control, Composite Technicians, Coordinators, Planners and Stock Clerks. These are just a few of the Manufacturing positions we offer at General Atomics. As a Manufacturing team member, you will use high-tech machines, systems, equipment and tools to create and build our products.
Experience in handling composite materials, using CNC machines and software, reading blueprints and drawings and a general understanding of manufacturing prinicples and systems are all desirable qualifications.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Electronics Manufacturing Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
- Results Driven
- Problem Solver
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Manufacturing Engineer in our Electronics and Troubleshooting group located in Poway, CA. This position will support the design (DFM), first article, production, test, and system integration of Printed Wiring Assemblies and Avionics Box Build for all RPA platforms. Designs incorporate Mil Spec and commercial components, including surface mount devices as well as through hole.
- PWA and LRU testing and troubleshooting at component level to isolate problem and make recommendations on various areas of improvement
- Leads manufacturing process development, implementation, and continuous improvement to enhance Quality / Yield, reduce Cost, and improve Productivity / Schedule.
- Leads lean manufacturing process improvement projects.
- Identify and assist in addressing safety issues on the manufacturing floor.
- Support manufacturing production planning and coordination, execution and operations process development.
- Provide production support to assemblers and leads.
- Document manufacturing processes and assembly work instructions in conjunction with T&O Planning.
- Design shop aid tooling to assist production.
- Disposition non-conforming parts, identify root cause, and implement corrective and/or preventive action to reduce scrap and rework.
- Collaborate with Design Engineering during development, prototype and first article manufacturing.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, seven or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education
- Electrical Degree is preferred
- Needs to have a thorough understanding of the Electronic Manufacturing process
- Electronics Emphasis with Troubleshooting and Automated Testing
- Experience working in electronic assembly methods and processes
- Experience with electrical testing including Continuity, Insulation Resistance, and Dielectric Withstanding Voltage testing, as well as related equipment, including wiring analyzers and network analyzers
- Experience with Electrical Schematics and Circuit Diagrams; Drawings and BOMs; Assembly Instructions
- Engineering Change systems; Quality systems for non-conforming parts and corrective action
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing methodologies for waste reduction, e.g.: 5S, Standard Work, TAKT, Pull System, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, cell design, and manufacturing flow
- Clearly and effectively communicate both verbally and in written form to both technical and non-technical audiences, especially regarding manufacturing processes, engineering issues and proposed changes, and quality issues and dispositions
- Experience with one of the following: IPC 610 and 620 as well as MIL standards is desired
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required
- Must have outstanding written and verbal communication
- U.S. Citizenship Required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Paid Time Off
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
“The people I work with and the great opportunities to grow are the reasons I look forward to coming to work every day.”– Ralph, Technician
“I enjoy working with good people and knowing I am helping our great military.”– Joe, Fabricator
“I chose General Atomics because I wanted to work in a challenging work environment.”– Tony, Composite Technician
“I'm excited to come to work because of the new projects and challenges.”– James, Quality Composite Inspector