Electrical System Design Engineer
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Entry-Level (0-2 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Electrical System Design Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting career opportunity for an Electrical System Design Engineer working withn our ASI Division, located in Poway, CA.
Under general supervision and with regular review, this position supports the engineering staff in the analysis, investigation and resolution of engineering problems of moderate scope and complexity. Assignments are normally accompanied by general instructions and suggestions, outlining possible approaches, sources or information, and potential problems to be encountered with work reviewed regularly for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy. Tasks involve the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance. Documents findings and implemented solutions and communicates results to engineering staff. Contacts are primarily internal with infrequent inter-organization or customer contact on routine matters. May provide direction to design or technician staff.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applies technical knowledge to analyze, investigate and resolve assigned engineering problems related to advanced technical systems, including electrical power systems, vehicle management/flight control systems, payload subsystems, etc.
- Develops system architecture drawings, analyzes system architectures, understands electrical circuits and their operation at the system level, manages aircraft power budgets, evaluates equipment for compliance to GA-ASI requirements, etc.
- Provides technical coordination between internal functional disciplines and of vendors.
- Presents reports at engineering meetings, develops presentations, participates in program technical reviews, and may make brief technical presentations during program reviews.
- May provide direction to design and/or technical staff.
- May be a focal point for technical communication within the Company and may represent the organization in providing solutions to technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Develops appropriate documentation of findings and implemented solutions.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and two or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a general understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theory with technical experience demonstrating the application of those concepts while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Good communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience with FAA Regulations, NATO Standards, Military Specifications, and other aerospace industry standards is desired.
- All applicants must be current US Citizens for this position and must be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
- Experience with aircraft electrical systems is desired.
- Familiarity with GA-ASI products is desired.
- Must be able to work extended hours as required.
- Aircraft pilot experience is desired but not required.
- Must be able to travel to flight test facilities in Southern California, Arizona, and other locations as required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer