Director, International Trade Compliance
San Diego, California
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Management
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Director, International Trade Compliance at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
In close coordination with the Company's Senior Director for International Trade Compliance (ITC), this
position is responsible for directing all import/export activities for the General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. (GA-ASI) business group. This position manages a busy team of trade compliance professionals responsible for export licensing, export clearance operations, import compliance, and commodity classification. This position has substantial responsibilities to interface with internal and external stakeholders, in support of GA-ASI International business initiatives. The successful candidate will bring the following qualities: excellent technical acumen in trade compliance; strong commitment to internal client services and enabling business solutions, and management style that integrates, motivates and develops people and; rock solid ethics and integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as an Empowered Official for the GA-ASI business group, and advises the business on interpreting import/export laws including the ITAR, EAR, and Customs regulations.
- Oversees the development of the GA-ASI trade compliance program including, obtaining export licenses, ongoing compliance per the terms of US Government authorizations, export and re-export operations and Customs compliance.
- Works closely with stakeholders in Programs, Strategic Development, Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, Logistics, Contracts, Policy, Business Development, and Procurement, to achieve to provide business-responsive solutions to International regulatory challenges.
- Leads a team of trade professionals to accomplish shifting business objectives, and assures team member development in a dynamic environment.
- Provides leadership in identifying issues, developing solutions, and providing guidance to Senior Management to ensure that export compliance process aligns with business objectives.
- Interprets and recommends modifications to company-wide policies and practices.
- Provides quality control, guidance, and process improvement leadership, to export licensing, classification, and other trade compliance deliverables.
- Ensures adherence to Company policies, applicable laws, and regulations with respect to trade compliance.
- Tracks and facilitates submitted licenses throughout U.S. Government review and approval processes and ensures Company’s position on licensing and technology controls is conveyed understood and accepted by appropriate government licensing authorities.
- Remains current on commercial/government/international laws, regulations and practices effecting export licenses.
- Drives team activity to assure effective, compliant and timely support to cross border initiatives.
- In close coordination with the Senior Director of ITC, represents the organization for export compliance activities and issues with internal and external management and senior level customer representatives.
- Conducts briefings for business and external representatives as required.
- Directs the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of human resources to ensure the availability of the required professional talent.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for ensuring all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations are observed wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Responsible for ensuring work is accomplished in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Science, Engineering, or a related field and fifteen or more years of progressively complex export compliance related experience with at least nine of those years in import/export supervision/management.
- Demonstrate a detailed and extensive technical expertise on export compliance regulations (including ITAR, EAR, and Customs regulations); application of export compliance
principles, concepts, and practices; and management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must possess the ability to resolve complex management and technical problems, serve as spokesperson on assigned projects and/or programs, and provide leadership and direction to assigned staff.
- Strong communication, leadership, presentation, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with others.
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work
extended hours and travel as required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager