Cost Estimating ManagerDate posted 01/19/2019
Job ID#: 22346BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Cost Estimating Manager
Job Category: Business Development, Contracts/Sub Contracts/Purchasing, Engineering, Finance/Accounting, Manufacturing, Product Support, Program/Project Management
City: San Diego
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Cost Estimating Project Manager to join our Cost Engineering team, located in our Rancho Bernardo facility. This position is responsible for managing and participating in the cost estimating activities for assigned organization(s) in support of proposals and contracts. Assists in the strategic development of the cost estimating function and is accountable for the implementation and administration of policies and procedures that ensure company processes are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Protects the company position, and facilitates the accomplishment of program cost estimating objectives. Advises management regarding potential risks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides advice and guidance to senior management and program managers on cost estimating issues relating to government and commercial proposals and contracts.
- Assists in the strategic development of the cost estimating function and is accountable for the implementation and administration of policies and procedures that ensure company processes are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures cost estimating policies and procedures are efficient, in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations and meet company objectives.
- Manages cost estimating activities for contract change orders and contract estimates. Assigns and reviews work of staff and ensures processes meet assigned timelines.
- Represent the company as the primary cost estimating contact.
- Develops appropriate electronic and hard copy reports and records. May develop new or revise existing electronic or hard copy systems and makes internal and external presentations.
- Interfaces with several internal functional groups as well as outside vendors to gather data. Review and brief Cost Engineering Sr. Manager on recommendations regarding the feasibility of manufacturing or buying needed products.
- Participates in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of human resources to ensure the availability of the required professional and technical talent.
- Responsible for managing, training and mentoring junior Project Cost Estimators.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for ensuring all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations are observed wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Responsible for ensuring work is accomplished in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree in business administration, industrial/cost engineering, or a related discipline and nine or more years of progressive cost estimating experience, preferably with a defense contractor, with at least three of those years in management. Equivalent professional cost estimating experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD Security Clearance required.
- Must have a thorough understanding of cost estimating concepts and principles, FAR and related governmental rules and regulations; and, experience demonstrating a broad application of those principles, concepts, and practices with a focus on material hardware.
- Must be able to plan, organize, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established milestones with experience in project leadership.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to identify issues and develop solutions to a variety of problems of diverse scope; (2) strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present cost estimating findings to a variety of audiences including project/proposal management and customers; (3) strong interpersonal skills; (4) the ability to initiate, plan, and lead a team of cost estimators on projects; (5) the ability to represent the organization as a primary contact on cost related matters; (6) and strong computer skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
US Citizenship Required? Yes
Clearance Required? Desired
Clearance Level Top Secret (SCI access eligible)