Cost Estimating ManagerSan Diego, California
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Cost Estimating Manager to join our Cost Engineering team, located in our Rancho Bernardo facility. This position is responsible for managing and participating in the cost estimating activities for assigned organization(s) in support of proposals and contracts. Assists in the strategic development of the cost estimating function and is accountable for the implementation and administration of policies and procedures that ensure company processes are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Protects the company position, and facilitates the accomplishment of program cost estimating objectives. Advises management regarding potential risks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides advice and guidance to senior management and program managers on cost estimating issues relating to government and commercial proposals and contracts.
- Assists in the strategic development of the cost estimating function and is accountable for the implementation and administration of policies and procedures that ensure company processes are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures cost estimating policies and procedures are efficient, in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations and meet company objectives.
- Manages cost estimating activities for contract change orders and contract estimates. Assigns and reviews work of staff and ensures processes meet assigned timelines.
- Represent the company as the primary cost estimating contact.
- Develops appropriate electronic and hard copy reports and records. May develop new or revise existing electronic or hard copy systems and makes internal and external presentations.
- Manages and participates in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of human resources to ensure the availability of the required professional and technical talent.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for ensuring all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations are observed wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Responsible for ensuring work is accomplished in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in business administration, industrial/cost engineering, or a related discipline and nine or more years of progressive cost estimating experience, preferably with a defense contractor, with at least three of those years in management. Equivalent professional cost estimating experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must be familiar with project/proposal management and cost accounting principles.
- Must have a thorough understanding of manufacturing operations processes.
- Must have an extensive understanding of cost estimating concepts and principles, FAR and related governmental rules and regulations; and, experience demonstrating a broad application of those principles, concepts, and practices.
- Must be able to plan, organize, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established milestones with experience in project leadership.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to identify issues and develop innovative solutions to a variety of complex problems of diverse scope; (2) excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present cost estimating findings to a variety of audiences including project/proposal management and customers; (3) excellent interpersonal skills; (4) the ability to initiate, plan, and lead a team of experienced cost estimators on projects; (5) the ability to represent the organization as a primary contact on cost related matters (6) and excellent M/S Office PC skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD security clearance is required. Active Secret clearance desired.
“Working in Research and Development means every day is something new and exciting. It's always a challenge to test new materials to see if they behave as you expect. It's never boring.”– Steven, Research & Development Engineer
"I like knowing that the projects I work on contribute to the defense of our country."– Micah, Mechanical Engineer
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer