Communications SpecialistDate posted 09/16/2016
Job ID#: 9877BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Job Category: Business Development
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Communications Specialist to support our Energy group at our facility in La Jolla/Torrey Pines. Without appreciable direction and in coordination with Corporate Communications, this position is responsible for the preparation of internal and external communications and publications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops communications and marketing materials by writing, editing and preparing press releases, promotional materials, articles, briefings, and other key marketing documents for the Company.
- Identifies and prepares key opinion leaders and internal spokespeople to provide perspective and insight to the media.
- Develops a plan and schedule for communications projects to meet Energy business objective(s).
- Reports and corrects inaccuracies in publications while anticipating and developing crisis communications.
- Develops and recommends changes/updates/modifications to editorial practices and participates in policy and procedure revisions ensuring all company compliance and ethics standards are met.
- Oversees development of material for internal and external distribution, including websites and social media.
- Initiates and manages all phases of graphics, photography and video projects in coordination with the Corporate Publications Department.
- Consults with internal senior staff and external representatives, agents, and consultants representing the organization in major matters pertaining to policies, plans and objectives.
- Develops and manages relationships with media and advocacy organizations while acting as liaison with external media.
- Assists in the coordination of activities such as trade shows, advertising, and public relations.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree in marketing, communications, or a related discipline and ten or more years of progressive professional experience in the marketing or communications field. Equivalent experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- A Masters degree in marketing, communications or related is highly desirable.
- The individual must demonstrate extensive knowledge of marketing and communication principles and concepts as well as a detailed and thorough understanding of marketing and communication practices, techniques, and standards.
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to develop solutions to a variety of unusual and complex problems; (2) excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills to accurately convey information to a variety of audiences; (3) excellent interpersonal skills to influence and guide employees, senior managers and external parties; and (4) Excellent working knowledge of MS Office computer applications and operations pertinent to the field.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.