Cable Design Engineer
San Diego, California
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Cable Design Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Cable Design Engineer to join our GA-ASI; Mission Payload and Exploitation (MPEx) group, directly reporting to the Cable Engineering team, sitting in San Diego, CA. The Cable Engineer team handles every aspect of harness/cable design, build and integration. We are a one stop shop for all harness/cable needs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Candidate will be responsible for interpreting system and electronics equipment specifications to design and document harness/cables to meet design objectives for airborne, ground, and test environments.
- Responsibilities include developing cable schematic or wiring interconnect diagram within Zuken, performing calculations e.g. wire gauge, selecting proper components.
- We have a dynamic R&D environment that offers the full breadth of harness/cable design and product delivery working at the system level. We do it all from design inception to product installation.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education. (Ideal candidates will have a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering)
- Demonstrated experience in harness/cable design, routing, and installation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Zuken is required.
- Working knowledge of cable assembly methods and tooling.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Avionics harness/cable design preferred.
- Experience with Windchill product management a plus.
- US Citizenship is required as is the ability to obtain and maintain DOD Security Clearance.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer