San Diego, California
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Buyer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Buyer to join our Indirect Purchasing team located in Torrey Pines, CA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilizes expertise in Facilities, Construction and Corporate Services procurement.
- Purchases complex parts, materials, capital equipment, goods, and services necessary to support a contract, subcontract or an internal organization.
- Validates purchase requisition requirements and/or statements of work.
- Selects or recommends potential suppliers.
- Develops and solicits competitive and sole source supplier bids.
- Analyzes and evaluates supplier responses.
- Perform Price Analysis.
- Provides leadership in proposal reviews with program management.
- May conduct major procurement negotiations involving agreements on terms and conditions as well as prices and schedules.
- Create well-written and fully supported procurement packages conforming to purchasing policy and procedures.
- Awards Purchase Orders and monitors delivery.
- Follows up, expedites, and negotiates changes relative to delivery and supplier performance.
- Ensures compliance with company and purchasing policies and procedures and applicable government regulations.
- Recommends changes/updates in purchasing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Maintains professional relationship with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Represents the organization as the primary purchasing contact on assigned purchases.
- Makes presentations as required.
- May provide guidance to less experienced colleagues on purchasing matters.
- May participate in the selection, development, and training of purchasing staff.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree in business administration or related discipline along with ten or more years of progressive professional purchasing experience. Equivalent professional purchasing experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must have demonstrated experience in purchasing concepts and principles, extensive knowledge of contract construction, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), FAR supplements, and the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
- Must be customer focused and possess: (1) the ability to provide innovative solutions to a range of complex purchasing problems; (2) strong communication and presentation skills to accurately document and report findings and communicate new concepts to a variety of audiences; (3) strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and guide employees, managers, and customers; (4) the ability to organize, schedule and coordinate multiple work phases; (5) the ability to lead less experienced purchasing staff on projects; and, (6) strong computer skills.
- SAP experience is highly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
- Travel may be required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager