San Diego, California
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Buyer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Buyer to work within our Procurement team located in San Diego, CA.
Under general direction with limited review, this position is responsible for purchasing commercial-off-the-shelf software products, professional services, and software maintenance services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilizes expertise in acquiring commercial-off-the-shelf software products, professional services, and software maintenance services.
- Purchases complex hardware, software, and implementation services necessary to support a contract, subcontract, or internal customers.
- Validates purchase requisitions, selects or recommends suppliers, develops and solicits bids, analyzes and evaluates responses, negotiates prices and other terms, monitors delivery, approves payment, and maintains necessary records.
- Maintains an awareness of available or potential suppliers and reviews and evaluates their operations to validate cost, quality, reliability, and ability to meet schedule and price requirements.
- Interacts with project personnel, program management and customer representatives.
- Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures and applicable government regulations.
- Compiles and analyzes statistical data to determine feasibility of buying products and to establish price objectives.
- Identifies, develops and selects qualified suppliers.
- Evaluates supplier reliability and performance.
- Coordinates competitive and sole source procurements to meet required purchase dates and prepares required support documentation.
- Reviews and analyzes suppliers' bids.
- Performs cost and/or price analysis.
- Conducts major procurement negotiations involving agreements on terms and conditions as well as prices and schedules.
- Participates in cost and pricing reviews with program management and customers.
- Follows up, expedites, and negotiates changes relative to delivery and supplier performance.
- Maintains professional relationship with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- May represent the organization as the primary purchasing contact on assigned contracts/subcontracts.
- May make presentations as required.
- May provide advice to professional or technical staff on purchasing matters.
- Utilizes MS Office Suite, SAP, and other applications.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Preforms other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree in business administration or related discipline along with ten or more years of progressive professional purchasing experience. Equivalent professional purchasing experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must have demonstrated experience in purchasing concepts and principles, extensive knowledge of contract construction, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), FAR supplements, and the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
- Must be knowledgeable in software licensing, renewals, enterprise and cloud agreement.
- Must be customer focused and possess:
- the ability to provide solutions to a range of complex purchasing problems
- strong communication and presentation skills to accurately document and report findings to a variety of audiences
- strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and guide employees, managers, and customers
- the ability to organize, schedule and coordinate multiple work phases
- the ability to lead less experienced purchasing staff on projects
- strong computer skills.
- SAP experience is desirable.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
- Limited travel may be required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager