Business Development ProfessionalDate posted 09/20/2016
Job ID#: 9902BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Business Development Professional
Job Category: Business Development
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Business Development Professional to support the Energy group. This position is responsible for conducting business development activities for products/services of the Energy group. The focus of this business development effort will be developing new opportunities with existing customers and exploring new opportunities with new customers that are based on technical core capabilities within the Energy group.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership and directs all phases of business development activities to ensure quality, business and financial objectives are attained.
- Seeks out, builds, and sustains relationships with industry and academic institutions involved in Department of Energy or Department of Defense technology programs.
- Interacts with program champions and other technical personnel to advise on how to represent ourselves and our ideas to customers.
- Develops market/product line business plans and capture plans to support sales in designated market segments.
- Analyzes market data to identify trends/opportunities and provides input for strategic direction.
- Influences the preparation of proposals, business capture plans, win strategies, and financial terms/conditions of contract(s).
- Maintains a new business pipeline that can be used for customer relation management as well as internal forecasting.
- Establishes business development short and long range objectives, develops master plan(s) and milestones for tracking and monitors adherence to master plan and schedules while enhancing existing business development process.
- Identifies business development issues and provides leadership in developing solutions to problems of unusual complexity, which require a high degree of ingenuity and innovativeness.
- Represents the Energy group with key business contacts with both domestic and foreign customers and potential customers and evaluates and recommends new initiatives and business opportunities.
- Analyzes and provides summary reports for management on status of business development activities.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree in Marketing, Business Administration or related field and fifteen or more years progressively complex marketing/sales experience. Equivalent professional experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- A technical bachelor’s degree with an MBA or advanced technical degree is preferred along with the required years of experience.
- Must have experience and knowledge of federal funding process, and demonstrated success in working with the federal government.
- Preference given to candidates with a successful record of developing new business with the Department of Energy and/or Department of Defense’s technology programs.
- Must demonstrate a detailed and extensive expertise and application of business development principles and concepts, and practice as well as comprehensive project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must demonstrate a thorough and detailed understanding of marketing/sales concepts, techniques, and standards and experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts.
- Must possess: (1) the ability to contribute to the development of new processes or systems and communicate new concepts; (2) excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present findings to a variety of audiences including senior management and senior external parties; (3) excellent interpersonal skills to influence and guide all levels of employees, including senior managers and senior external parties; (4) the ability to effectively and efficiently initiate, plan, and manage projects; (5) the ability to represent the company on external projects; (6) and excellent computer, documentation and presentation skills.
- The ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and significant travel as required.