Business Development Manager, Commercial CapacitorsDate posted 05/03/2016
Job ID#: 8567BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Business Development Manager, Commercial Capacitors
Job Category: Business Development
City: San Diego
Regular/Temp: Regular Employee
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) is a supplier of advanced electromagnetic systems, related power equipment and other high technology products for a variety of government and commercial applications. These include products such as the design and fabrication of linear motors, superconducting and conventional rotating motors, power inverters, high-energy capacitors, radiation monitoring systems, high-voltage direct current power distribution systems, and numerous other products.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Business Development Manager to support our scope of commercial capacitor products located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. This position reports to a Senior Manager and is responsible for directing business development activities for commercial products/services for the product line. The capacitor products supported include large pulsed energy storage, high voltage and power electronics capacitors for commercial and energy research applications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the development of new business opportunities and expansion of existing business opportunities. Consult with management in pursuing business partnerships, alliances, and joint ventures that enhance the capabilities of the organization.
- Collaborate with functional organizations within GA-EMS on all phases of business development activities to ensure business and financial objectives are attained.
- Seek out, build, and sustain relationships with industry and academic institutions involved in high energy capacitor technology programs.
- Manage activities to identify markets, licensing opportunities, and determine the feasibility of product development.
- Manage the assessment of potential business opportunities through activities such as market and economic analysis, monitoring competitive activity and identifying customer needs
- Manage and influence the preparation of opportunity capture plans, win strategies, proposals, business plans, proposal work statements and specifications, operating budgets and financial terms/conditions of contract(s).
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations and lead technical discussions at both small and large audience venues.
- Identify new application areas and working with development and marketing to create compelling messaging and demonstrations.
- Understanding/interpreting existing electrical and general engineering documentation.
- Coordinating and interacting with CAD group and others to modify documentation per customer needs.
- Cooperating with GA-EMS manufacturing team to find optimum Design for Manufacturing solutions.
- Navigating through document/product management software (Windchill and SAP) to access required procedures and documents.
- Updating product documentation to reflect design changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a Bachelors or Masters in business administration or related field and nine or more years of progressively complex experience in business development with at least three years managing business development activities. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Requires a candidate with an understanding of electromagnetic fundamentals with a focus on high voltage and power electronic capacitors.
- Complete understanding of electrical engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties is required.
- Fluency in electrical and electronic documentation standards is required.
- Must demonstrate a detailed and extensive expertise and application of business development principles and concepts, and practice as well as comprehensive project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must possess the ability to resolve unusually complex problems; serve as spokesperson on projects; and be an expert in one or more areas of business development.
- Strong communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other departments, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours and travel as required.