Staff Signal Processing Engineer (FPGA)
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Staff Signal Processing Engineer (FPGA) at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
The Electrical Engineering department at GA-ASI MPEx is looking for a highly experienced Signal Processing Engineer with strong capabilities in systems architecture, RTL level design, verification and validation. This position will work with cutting edge technology and systems and will develop products at all TRL levels, including conceptual, prototype, and production. The successful candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary team to design, develop, and implement data processing and signal processing algorithms.
DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines technical objectives for solution(s) to advanced technical engineering problems.
- Represents the organization as a prime technical contact within and engineering team for assigned project(s)/program(s).
- Proficient with the following tools / languages: MATLAB/Simulink, C/C++, VHDL, Xilinx Vivado
- Ability to design innovative embedded algorithms given system performance specifications.
- Must be able to prototype algorithms in a high level language before embedded implementation.
- Ability to translate system performance specifications into digital firmware requirements, design, and test specifications.
- Proficient in the implementation of advanced digital signal and/or image processing algorithms on FPGAs
- May function in an advisory or leadership role for a project/program and provide direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff.
- Formulates plans and guides the development and implementation of engineering solution(s) including deployment, resource requirements, testing, documentation, integration and compliance and safety.
- Plans and coordinates the maintenance of engineering solutions including, documentation, reporting, publishing, and making technical and other presentations to ensure viability of the solution(s) in an evolving environment.
- Plans for future applications of solutions based on new developments in engineering technology.
- Participates in or may lead the development of new or expansion of existing business opportunities.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Signal processing and implementation experience for Acoustic Sensors, Optical Sensors, Electronic Warfare, Radar, and/or RF Communication systems.
- Proficient with RDMA/RoCE implementations.
- Proficient with embedded security implementations.
- Proficient with beamforming, channelization, and polyphase filters.
- We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; fifteen or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, thirteen or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or ten or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environmentand strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals
- Capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact.
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Customer focused.
- Able to work on a self-initiated basis or in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium, and invited and/or participated on an engineering review panel are desirable.
- US Citizenship required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer