Software Requirements Engineer
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Software Requirements Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
Under general supervision with limited review, this position independently determines approaches/solutions for the design, development and/or modification of specific programs or projects for enterprise-wide end–user, system level, and data management software applications with an emphasis on software requirements. Involved in planning of application development and deployment as well as responsible for meeting software compliance standards on specific programs or projects. Evaluates integration of software applications with the overall computing environment; responsible for documentation, testing, maintenance, and software updates. Communicates with domain experts, outside customers, users, and management throughout the software development lifecycle.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determine user requirements and specifications and plan for software development within the broader organizational scope. Software development includes end-user, system level, and data management applications.
- Coordinate with systems engineering and system safety groups to maintain bi-directional traceability to system and safety requirements.
- Manage requirements changes and work products including software requirements specifications and interface control documents across the product lifecycle.
- Maintain standards and training efforts for requirements development and management.
- Formulate detailed plans for the implementation of software solutions. In addition to program design this includes determining language, platform, and resource requirements.
- Implementation of design including coding, testing, and documentation.
- Deployment of applications across the enterprise including cross-platform compliance and insuring availability of necessary resources.
- Code maintenance including debugging and updating to keep pace with the evolving environment.
- Assist in planning for future applications based on new developments in computer technology.
- Communicate with the software developer group, with users, and with management as well as with the wider community through the publishing and presentation of technical papers.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in computer science, information systems or a related discipline and progressive software development experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a bachelors degree or two or more years of experience with a masters degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Experience with IBM Rational DOORS highly desired.
- Experience with C/C++ highly desired.
- Experience with Systems Engineering desired.
- Must have a complete understanding of software development concepts, principles, and theory and demonstrate complete understanding and application of programming and analysis concepts.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an dynamic and fast-pace environment.
- Ability to organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level and to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Able to work extended hours as required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer