Senior Test Pilot
Pilots complete Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions while piloting Remotely Piloted Aircraft in support of our customers. Responsibilities include managing and performing all aspects of flying from planning, briefing, mission execution, debriefing, aircrew resource management and ground and flight safety. Pilots may be the primary interface between the on-site customer and teams back home and will be counted upon to solve problems.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0% - 25%
What makes a successful Senior Test Pilot at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
This position is responsible for serving as Test Pilot, Instructor Test Pilot, and Flight Examiner. Subject matter expert for all aspects of the company's family of Unmanned Aircraft Systems to include aircraft hardware and software, ground control station hardware and software and operational and experimental ground and flight testing of company product line of aircraft. Ensures the standardization of company aircraft ground and flight operations and procedures, flight test and instructional techniques. Primary consultant for executive management in all areas of company product line of aircraft development, flight test and operational mission planning and execution. Responsible for the safe operation of the UAV during all phases of ground and flight operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform as Experimental Test and Evaluation Pilot.
- Perform as Instructor Test Pilot and company Flight Examiner.
- Perform as Pilot-in-Command of Company Unmanned Air Vehicles.
- Develops and executes mission planning, briefing, mission execution and debriefing.
- Instruct UAV student pilots as well as instructor pilots-in-training in all aspects of UAV ground and flight operations including academic (platform instruction) and in-flight instruction.
- Ensures compliance with all governing regulations including service guidance, company procedures and Federal Aviation Administration Regulations.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations and company policies wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to maintain a productive and safe working environment in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Consults directly with company engineering and senior management as subject matter expert in developing company product line of aircraft.
- Develops and verifies procedures for use with new aircraft features.
- Develops training syllabus courseware to include research, word processing and presentation development.
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Typically requires education or formal training equivalent to a four-year technical degree and six or more years progressively complex aviation experience. Equivalent professional aviation experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must have a strong aviation background and demonstrate a complete understanding of technical principles, theories, and concepts. Must have excellent organization skills including planning and coordinating work assignments.
- Must possess: (1) FAA Commercial Certificate with a current instrument rating; (2) strong interpersonal skills with emphasis on teamwork and verbal and written communication; (3) ability to effectively interface with all levels of employees, as well as military and civilian customers; (4) strong knowledge of computer applications and operations pertinent to the position; and (5) the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Preferred Qualifications Previous experience including Predator, UAV and/or Military aviator or military aviation. FAA instructor rating (CFI) and (CFII) in manned aircraft.
- Highly Desirable: Test pilot school graduate.
- US Citizenship Required
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
"There are challenges that require individual attention which makes every day new and different. I enjoy the complexity and the ability to address concerns or issues and seek out solutions that everyone can benefit from."– Czar, Ground Support Equipment Supervisor
"I chose General Atomics because I wanted to apply my knowledge of aviation to help protect our nation in the air. The culture and atmosphere are like no company I have ever worked for. I enjoy coming to work every day."– Mike, Airframe & Powerplant Specialist