Senior Flight Test Engineer (FTE)
Pilots complete Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions while piloting Remotely Piloted Aircraft in support of our customers. Responsibilities include managing and performing all aspects of flying from planning, briefing, mission execution, debriefing, aircrew resource management and ground and flight safety. Pilots may be the primary interface between the on-site customer and teams back home and will be counted upon to solve problems.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Senior Flight Test Engineer (FTE) at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
With limited direction, this position exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives for the review, research, design, development, and/or solution to advanced technical engineering problem (s). May function in an advisory or project leadership role providing direction to experienced professional staff. Formulates plans, typically long term, for solution(s) development, documentation, and deployment, as well as meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety standards. Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and ensures that appropriate documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates completed. Communicates with engineering professionals, solution users, and management throughout the solution development cycle, represents the company as a prime technical contact on contracts and/or projects, interacts with senior external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations, and participates in the development of new or expansion of existing business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines technical objectives for solution(s) to advanced technical engineering problems.
- Represents the organization as a prime technical contact within and engineering team for assigned project(s)/program(s).
- May function in an advisory or leadership role for a project/program and provide direction and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff.
- Formulates plans and guides the development and implementation of engineering solution(s) including deployment, resource requirements, testing, documentation, integration and compliance and safety.
- Plans and coordinates the maintenance of engineering solutions including, documentation, reporting, publishing, and making technical and other presentations to ensure viability of the solution(s) in an evolving environment.
- Plans for future applications of solutions based on new developments in engineering technology.
- Participates in or may lead the development of new or expansion of existing business opportunities.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, ten or more years of experience with a masters degree, or seven or more years with a PhD.
- May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact; and, the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Must be customer focused and able to work on a self- initiated basis or in a team environment and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium, and invited and/or participated on an engineering review panel are desirable.
- Desirable: Pilot Test School Graduate
- US Citizenship Required
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
"I chose General Atomics because I wanted to apply my knowledge of aviation to help protect our nation in the air. The culture and atmosphere are like no company I have ever worked for. I enjoy coming to work every day."– Mike, Airframe & Powerplant Specialist