Experienced Technical Writer
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Experienced Technical Writer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
Under general direction, this position is responsible for researching, documenting and developing detailed procedures, training materials, presentations, and reports for the Compliance Department at El Mirage, CA. The Compliance Dept. bids, develops, and sustains internal/external manuals and procedures, leads cross functional and optimization teams, and actively participates with customers to solve problems and effectively build consensus across program principles, concepts, and practices at the flight operations facility.
Ensures final materials clearly and effectively communicate the technical information and data to appropriate audiences; ensures documents are developed in accordance with the requested specifications; and collects and accumulates appropriate technical information through researching and analyzing technical data and publications, engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, software description documents, engineering documents and by interviewing technical experts.
Plans, coordinates and leads efforts of a small-medium sized team to complete a project.
May represent the organization as a primary contact on contracts and projects, and may provide direction and training to less experienced staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Researches, documents, and develops detailed flight and ground operations procedures, training materials, presentations, and reports.
- Collects and accumulates appropriate technical information through researching and analyzing technical data and publications, service guidance, regulations, engineering documents, and by interviewing subject matter experts.
- Ensures documents are developed in accordance with the requested specifications and contractual requirements, including development of any necessary illustrations, photographs, or other graphic representations.
- Ensures final materials clearly and effectively communicate the technical information and data.
- Ensures accuracy of documents. Corrects technical and editorial errors and may participate in rewrites as necessary.
- Coordinates technical reviews and approval signatures, which may include appropriate security classification and distribution statements prior to release.
- Participates in developing and recommending new and/or modifications to documentation/communication policies and procedures.
- Presents document(s) to program management staff, makes related presentations, and assists in the interpretation of service guidance and regulations.
- Typically requires education or formal training equivalent to the completion of an associate's degree in a related discipline and six or more years progressive experience in a technical field.
- May substitute equivalent professional experience in lieu of education/training.
- Must demonstrate a comprehensive technical understanding of military and/or Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations, Department of Defense (DoD) and/or Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) manuals and instructions, and technical writing/editing principles, theories, standards and concepts.
- Must have strong working knowledge of the development of technical manuals and documentation and strong working knowledge of computer-based tools in the production of technical documentation.
- Must possess:
- the ability to grasp complex concepts quickly;
- the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information;
- strong organization skills;
- the ability to identify issues and develop innovation solutions to a variety of complex problems;
- strong analytical, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to accurately analyze, document and report; and,
- strong knowledge of computer and technical writing operations and applications.
- Must be able to work extended hours and travel as required.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager