Midwest City, Oklahoma
Corporate positions help our company operate at it's maximum potential while providing the best service to all customers. Our corporate teams maintain a high level of collaboration across multiple departments and teams. Corporate roles include Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology Services (ITS), Accounting & Finance, and Contracts & Procurement.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Technical Writer/Editor at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics Systems Integration, LLC (GA-SI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a provider of military and commercial engineering services. GA-SI is a leading-edge expert in systems integration technologies, reliability improvements, and controls system design.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team based in Oklahoma as a Technical Writer/Editor working with our Systems Integration Group. This position is responsible for researching, documenting, and developing detailed operator, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures, checklists, technical specifications, alert bulletins, training materials and other procedures and reports.
Under general direction, this position is responsible for researching, documenting and developing detailed operator, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures, checklists, technical specifications, alert bulletins, training materials and other procedures and reports. Ensures final materials clearly and effectively communicate the technical information and data to appropriate audiences; ensures documents are developed in accordance with the requested specifications; and collects and accumulates appropriate technical information through researching and analyzing technical data and publications, engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, software description documents, engineering documents and by interviewing technical experts. Plans, coordinates, and facilitates efforts of a small-medium sized team to complete a project. May represent the organization as a primary contact on contracts and projects and may provide direction and training to less experienced staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, documents, and develops detailed operator, maintenance and troubleshooting procedures, checklists, technical specifications, alert bulletins, training materials and other procedures and reports.
- Collects and accumulates appropriate technical information through researching and analyzing technical data and publications, engineering drawings, test procedures, design specifications/documentation, software description documents, engineering documents and by interviewing technical experts.
- Ensures documents are developed in accordance with the requested specifications and contractual requirements, including development of any necessary illustrations, photographs, or other graphic representations.
- Ensures final materials clearly and effectively communicate the technical information and data
- Ensures accuracy of documents. Corrects technical and editorial errors and may participate in rewrites as necessary.
- Coordinates technical reviews and approval signatures, which may include appropriate security classification prior to document distribution.
- Participates in developing and recommending new and/or modifications to documentation/communication policies and procedures
- Presents document(s) to program management staff and makes related presentations.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires education or formal training equivalent to the completion of an Associate degree in a related discipline and three or more years progressive experience in a technical field.
- May substitute equivalent professional experience in lieu of education/training.
- Must demonstrate a comprehensive technical understanding of military or commercial systems, and technical writing/editing principles, theories, standards, and concepts.
- Must have strong working knowledge of the development of technical manuals and documentation and strong working knowledge of computer-based tools in the production of technical documentation.
- S1000D experience
- Ability to write DoD and commercial technical publications in a standard format, typically to SGML/XML standards and in the proper published format.
- Previous experience using interactive electronic technical manual (IETM) tools to develop technical orders/publications.
- The ability to grasp complex concepts quickly
- The ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- The ability to identify issues and develop innovation solutions to a variety of complex problems
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to accurately analyze, document and report
- Strong knowledge of computer operations and applications.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
- Proficiency with Microsoft © Office suite software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Experience with aircraft operations, maintenance or support technical orders.
- Experience with logistics management information databases.
- Prior experience developing technical data using Arbotext (or similar) editing software.
- Technical publications coding in XML.
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“General Atomics is a company that has provided amazing career opportunities. There is no limit to where you can go in this company.”– Shalena, Lead Talent Acquisition Specialist
“I consider myself an effective leader and manager who also cares about his team. I strive to support my team so they can ensure we are taking care of our customers.”– Uriah, Project Manager