Sciences ManagerDate posted 03/14/2019
Job ID#: 23103BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Sciences Manager
Job Category: Engineering, Program/Project Management, Scientists
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Sciences Manager within GA’s Energy Group. This position is responsible for managing and coordinating diagnostic activities to ensure state-of-the-art, reliable and efficient performance in support Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) and other fusion research activities, including the preparation of multi-year plans, budgets, schedules, and progress reports. The work location is at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab (LLNL) in Livermore, CA and will include close coordination with activities located at the San Diego campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership for all diagnostic implementation and operation project(s) including planning and managing technical performance to ensure quality, business, and financial objectives are attained.
- Identifies innovative diagnostic approaches and provides leadership in developing solutions such as re-allocation of resources, modifying and/or replacing systems, and to ensure the development and implementation of long term plans for the diagnostic systems.
- Leads a team of scientists, engineers, and technicians to achieve diagnostics research goals.
- Develops and implements current, annual and long-term technical, schedule, and quality objectives for the scientific and engineering unit for the ICF diagnostic group and other customers.
- Establishes design concepts, criteria, and engineering efforts for product research, development, testing, and integration, including design reviews.
- Interacts with management and customer representatives concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements and contractual clarification.
- Oversees all hardware and procedures for diagnostic operation and maintenance.
- Provides major contributions to the preparation of proposals, business plans, proposal work statements and specifications, operating budgets.
- Ensures technical leadership and excellence is maintained by directing and participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of the required management, professional, and technical talent.
- Interacts with many collaborating institutions which are providing diagnostic systems as part of their contribution to the ICF program.
- Participates in the development of new business opportunities and expansion of existing business opportunities.
- Interacts with customer on long term diagnostic development paths on national and international avenues.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a Bachelors, Masters or PhD in science or a related technical field as well as eleven or more years of progressively complex experience in science with at least five of those years having management responsibilities. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- A PhD degree in Physics or related technical field is highly desirable.
- Extensive experience in instrumentation (diagnostics), electronics, data acquisition and analysis. Working knowledge of fusion auxiliary systems (e.g. lasers, vacuum, cryogenics, electrical power, radiation and cooling systems)
- Experience with fusion research and environment.
- Demonstrates technical expertise in the application of scientific principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as project management and leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Highly capable to work and interact with scientists, engineers and managers from different institutions, nationally and internationally.
- Familiarity with ICF systems highly desirable.
- Original work(s) published in professional scientific or engineering journals.
- Must possess the ability to resolve complex management and technical problems.
- Strong communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other departments, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? No