Senior Propulsion EngineerDate posted 11/30/2018
Job ID#: 21744BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Senior Propulsion Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Propulsion Engineer to support Internal Research and Development (IRAD) and government contracted projects in our Huntsville, AL location.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports operation of engineering systems and documents any problems.
- Responsible for providing propulsion system subject matter expertise including solid rocket motors, liquid fueled rocket engines, divert and attitude control systems, and satellite/space propulsion systems.
- Leads analysis, design, development, integration and testing of propulsion systems and components.
- Responsible for performing propulsion-related analysis, conceptual sizing and design of propulsion systems.
- Manages propulsion subcontractors through the design, development, integration and test of propulsion systems.
- Devises new approaches and develops new tools to resolve unusual or complex engineering problems.
- Troubleshoot conflicting design/development requirements.
- Support proposal and business development activities.
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required.
- May represent the organization as the prime technical contact on some contracts or projects.
- Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a team of moderately experienced professional staff.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, ten or more years of experience with a masters degree, or seven or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Top Secret Security Clearance is required.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Experience in systems engineering, systems integration, risk management, missile system development, and satellite development is highly desired.
- Proficiency with using commercially available motor design and analysis tools such as SPP is highly desired.
- Experience with developing custom propulsion design and analysis tools is desired.
- Experience with flight testing at national test ranges is desired.
- Experience in fluid dynamics modeling and analysis is desired.
- Experience with electromechanical control systems is desired.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Desired
Clearance Level Top Secret (SCI access eligible)