Senior GNC EngineerDate posted 11/06/2018
Job ID#: 21370BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Senior GNC Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity within our growing Systems Analysis group located in Huntsville, AL for a Senior GN&C (Guidance, Navigation, and Control) Engineer. The Systems Analysis group is part of our Systems Engineering, Integration, and Test group which supports virtually all missile, projectile, and small satellite development projects at GA-EMS. The Senior GN&C Engineer is located in Huntsville, Alabama.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) algorithms for missiles, projectiles, and small satellites
- Integrates GN&C algorithms into six-degree-of-freedom simulation software
- Analyzes the stability and robustness of guidance and control algorithms using control theory and Monte Carlo simulations
- May function in an advisory or leadership role for a project/program and provide direction, mentorship and guidance to less experienced professional staff or team of professional staff
- Will be responsible for delivering periodic status updates to internal and external customers
- Participates in, or may lead, the development of new business opportunities
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree, seven or more years of experience with a Master’s degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- US citizenship is required.
- Active DoD secret security clearance or higher is required.
- Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering degree is preferred.
- Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
- Experience designing guidance, navigation, and control algorithms for aerospace systems.
- Experience with physics-based modeling of dynamic systems and Monte Carlo simulation analysis.
- Experience developing software in C/C++ and Matlab/Simulink.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; the capability of representing the organization as a prime technical contact; and, the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Must be customer focused and able to work on a self- initiated basis or in a team environment and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium, and invited and/or participated on an engineering review panel are desirable.
- Travel Expectations: 10-20%.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Yes
Clearance Level Secret