Modeling and Simulation EngineerDate posted 04/19/2018
Job ID#: 18057BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Modeling and Simulation Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Modeling and Simulation Engineer to join our team in Huntsville, AL.
Under general supervision and with on-going review, this position supports the engineering staff in the analysis, investigation and resolution of routine engineering problems of limited scope. Assignments are for small projects or phase(s) of larger projects(s) and are normally outlined in terms of specific engineering activities. Contributes to the completion of assigned engineering tasks which involve the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance. Documents findings and implemented solutions, and communicates results to project engineering staff. Contacts are primarily internal within the team. May provide direction to design staff or technicians.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applies basic technical knowledge to analyze, investigate and resolve assigned routine engineering problems.
- Develop physics-based models of various aerospace vehicles and subsystems to include missiles, projectiles, and satellites.
- Perform simulation analysis tasks and communicate results via written reports and verbal presentations.
- Assist with the development of guidance, navigation, and control (GNC) algorithms.
- Incorporate new models into the simulation code bases.
- Perform data analysis tasks using standard tools such as MATLAB or Python.
- Develops appropriate documentation of findings and implemented solutions, and communicates results to project engineering staff. May be required to make technical presentations to project staff.
- May provide direction to design staff or technicians.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and two or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education
- Must have a basic understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theory.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Ability to code in C/C++ and MATLAB is required.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow and apply basic engineering knowledge, adapt standard techniques, and utilize the required diagnostics, tools and equipment, while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance.
- Must be able to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Good communication, computer, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other professionals, to produce appropriate documentation, and to present results to a limited internal audience.
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team. Able to work extended hours as required.
- An EIT (Engineer in Training) certificate is desirable.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Desired