Flight Software Design Engineer
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic environment.
Engineering positions typically require a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and integration before getting to the final stages of customer interface and project management.
Schedule: Full-Time Salary
Job Level: Mid-Level (3-7 years)
Travel: 0 - 25
What makes a successful Flight Software Design Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity within our Flight Software Design Engineering group for a Satellite Flight Software Engineer to support a satellite system development program in our Huntsville, AL location. We could also host this position in San Diego CA, Centennial CO, Oxford MA or Fredericksburg VA. This role will develop requirements, design, implement, integrate and test satellite related embedded systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess and/or develop requirements, and design, implement, integrate and test work products.
- Responsible for direct hands-on development of software in support of real-time and embedded satellite related systems.
- Collaborates daily with GA and customer engineering and program management teams.
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required.
- Support development, review, and editing of technical documents as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and two or more years of engineering experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must be able to obtain a DoD Secret clearance. Active Secret DoD security clearance is preferred.
- Experience with satellite or missile avionics flight code is highly desirable.
- Strong embedded software development discipline is a required.
- Embedded C/C++ programming experience is required.
- Experience working with custom hardware, reading schematics, and working with hardware designers is required.
- Must be a resourceful "self-starter" capable of researching details of target processor hardware and interfaces.
- Experience with RTOS, ARM, I2C, SPI, Ethernet, and Linux is desirable.
- Experience with Visual Studio IDE is desirable.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Position has the possibility for 100% Remote options.
Salary:$62,460 - $105,533
Pension, 401(k)/Retirement Plans
Multiple product lines means a variety of work
Paid Time Off
“The company is growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology development).”– Peter, Senior Staff Engineer
“We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM advocates.”– Debra, CSSBB: Staff Engineer
“Every day is different, with different problems to solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have always been motivated by the tough questions.”– Scott, Laser Scientist
“I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the company of all these decisions which significantly impact production, sustainment and new designs.”– John, Staff Engineer