EO/IR EngineerDate posted 11/06/2018
Job ID#: 21369BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: EO/IR Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity in our Systems Engineering, Integration, and Test Department for an Electro-Optical/InfraRed (EO/IR) engineer. This position is within our Systems Engineering & Integration group supporting systems engineering, trade studies and analyses, design, integration, and testing of EO/IR subsystems and components for a number of programs and is located in Huntsville, AL.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide EO/IR subject matter expertise in support of multiple programs and Internal Research and Development (IRAD) projects.
- Conduct EO/IR trade studies and performance analyses.
- Develop models and software tools to support the design and simulation of EO/IR subsystems.
- Support systems engineering to define requirements, develop EO/IR system architectures, manage risks, and support requirements verification activities for EO/IR subsystems and components.
- Assess proposed requirements changes and how they affect EO/IR subsystem and component designs including impacts to performance, risk, cost, verification/testing methodology, and delivery schedule.
- Support Semi-Active Laser (SAL) and IR seeker design and development activities.
- Collaborate daily with systems engineering, electronics, software, mechanical, logistics, test, quality assurance, and procurement personnel within GA and government customer agencies.
- Provide real-time, thorough communication with program management.
- Provide design documentation, write technical reports, and make technical presentations as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree, seven or more years of experience with a Master’s degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- US citizenship is required.
- Active DoD secret security clearance or higher is required.
- Must have a thorough understanding of EO/IR engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Working knowledge of EO/IR simulation and modeling tools.
- Experience designing and testing EO/IR hardware.
- Experience with C/C++, Matlab/Simulink, Python or other programming and scripting languages.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of supporting a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Travel Expectations: 10-20%.
- Success in position requires consistent display of the following key abilities:
- Rapid and effective problem solving: identify issues, analyze and interpret data and develop innovative solutions to a variety of complex problems;
- Communication skills to document, develop, and present technical issues so that stakeholders across the organization readily understand the content and their related actions;
- Schedule performance: influencing and collaborating across the organization to result in contract schedule success.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Yes
Clearance Level Secret